Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24051 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »

Speaking of names Clarisse Cooke was born the same year as Clara Edith ( from the census) so I'm assuming they are one and the same person.

You also have a Clara in your family ( born 1854 Selby) , and Alfred W Hoods wife was an Edith.

Hello

Thanks Claire and dobfarm for the ordering info.

Yes, a few HOOD naming similarities, but in our HOOD line we actually have a HOOD EDITH Mary and a HOOD CLARA, plus other ...

Hood of Selby lines:-
Mary Beatrice Hood and Beatrice Mary Hood
Adelina Hood born Selby 1855, alias Adeline Hood, similar to Adelaide.

The last Cheshire Record Office photocopy marriage took about a week.

I hope to eventually find, the missing William Hood of Selby in the 1841 Census.

Preston Chronicle and Lancashire Advertiser, 16th January 1875
On the 9th inst., at 15 Queen's Square, Blackpool, Mr. Matthew Parkinson Cooke, aged 68.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Matthew Parkinson COOKE of Cleasby

I don't know if these COOKEs are Quakers or not?

----------

Cleasby and Quaker Connections

Been digging into the place called Cleasby, North Riding of Yorkshire.

In 1894 the Lord of the Manor of Cleasby was Theodore FRY Esq., of Woodburn in the Parish of Blackwell, County of Durham. Source London Gazette (regarding him being granted the dignity of a Baronet).

There is a claim on a website about Bristol that John Pease purchased the Manor of Cleasby. The sum was reputed to be £36,500 in 1829.

I recall as a boy my late Grandmother discussing FRY and whether they were Quakers or not, along with other household names.

In this 600 page book about Quaker businessmen, John Pease (1797 - 1868) born Darlington 1797, woollen manufacturer, died at Cleveland Lodge, Gt Ayton, [where the Procters of Selby owned part of the Manor]. John Pease married Sophia Jowitt and one of the Daughters married Theodore Fry (1836 - 1912) of Darlington.

So this must have been how the Lordship of the Manor of Cleasby changed hands from Pease to Theodore Fry.

I haven't got used to how the Author has set out his extensive work (took over 10 years), but seems one or the other Daughter has married Jonathan Backhouse Hodgkin (1843 - 1926) of Darlington, Banker.

We have come across a Jonathan Backhouse, Banker, before.

----------

Anyway, going back to Joseph FRY the Chocolate manufacturer, the Quaker FRYs had links with Bristol, where our other Not in Membership William HOOD, Corn Factor and Merchant, was buried in 1821 by the Quakers.

Joseph Pease (1772 - 1846) woollen manufacturer, was in the anti-slavery movement, campaigning for the reform of the East India Company, he died at his home in 1846.

----------

So were Charles COOKE born Gilling Yorkshire and Matthew Parkinson COOKE of Cleasby Quakers?

Because the Manor of Cleasby seems to be held, or owned by Quaker individuals.

----------

I am wondering if "Not in Membership" Quaker burial went much further than relations of Quakers, something else I couldn't find in those Quaker York Minutes Volumes.

I am left with a question in my mind that can't be answered, as to why the Quakers took care of burying George Hood, his Wife Sarah and four of their unmarried adult children, all Non Members.

George could afford to have himself and them buried in York in the newish General Cemetery Company cemetery.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello

This Matthew Parkinson COOKE is a challenge, because he was adopted by Matthew Parkinson of Westmoreland, Jamaica.

[Matthew Parkinson] Resident slave-owner in Westmoreland Jamaica, son of John Parkinson of Norton near Stockton. Nephew of Ralph Parkinson and Leonard Parkinson senior.

Interesting site, although I shudder to see a John Hood listed as having 5 "slaves" about 1827.
http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/Members/a1827al03.htm

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 29 January 18 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Regarding Matthew Parkinson COOKE (adopted by Matthew Parkinson) later of Poulton le Fylde, Lancashire / Preston Chronicle and Lancashire Advertiser, 16th January 1875
On the 9th inst., at 15 Queen's Square, Blackpool, Mr. Matthew Parkinson Cooke, aged 68. 

"Matthew Parkinson COOKE a quadroon Child " Baptised 17 December 1812, Westmoreland, Jamaica, living part of his life at Cleasby, Yorkshire.

Where was Matthew Parkinson COOKE buried, please?

------------

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/parkinson/1072/

Father of Matthew Parkinson was John PARKINSON of Norton near Stockton.

In the newspapers, I can only find 'Parkinson of Stockton' a Master of a vessel.

REDCAR, Nov. 27.-The Liberia, Parkinson, of Stockton, ran on the rocks off this place this morning, but was assisted off, and is now in tow of two steamers, for the Tees.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 29 January 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »

Hello

If the witness to the marriage below is our ALFRED WILLIAM HOOD, then the COOKE getting married here and also the COOKE Father and witness, might be descendants of the Cook, I have been looking for?

1891 Census. Civil Parish of Latchford in the Borough of Warrrington
Alfred W. Hood, Head, M, age 36, Grocer, born Yorkshire, Selby.
Edith Hood, Wife, M, age 24, born Yorkshire, Selby.
Reginald G. Hood, Son, - , age 3, born Cheshire, Latchford.
Alfred W. Hood, Son, - , age 1, born Cheshire, Latchford.
Mary E. Houghton, Serv; S, age 15, Gen'l Domestic Serv; born Cheshire, Latchford.

Marriage
Possibly ALFRED WILLIAM HOOD was a Witness at this 1892 COOKE Wedding at WARRINGTON ...

Marriage: 20 Aug 1892 Holy Trinity, WARRINGTON, Lancs.
Colin SIMS - 30, Schoolmaster, Bachelor, 145 Chapel St. Leigh
Fannie Adolphine COOKE - 21, Spinster, 50 Parker St. Warrington
    Groom's Father: John Sims, Moulder
    Bride's Father: Charles COOKE, Schoolmaster
    Witness: ALFRED WILLIAM HOOD; Clarisse COOKE
    Married by Licence by: W. E. Glenn
    Register: Marriages 1870 - 1901, Page 130, Entry 259
    Source: LDS Film 2068606/7

Mark

Hello

I have a later document of Alfred William Hood of Selby.

The Mother of Fannie Adolphine COOKE was a HOMBOURG (alias HOMBURG Register Index)

But it is COOKE of interest.

Interesting, an Alfred William Hood being a witness at the Wedding?

Whilst at Leeds, I saw the letter sent by government, headed Whitehall, London, authorising that after the death of Jane Hood of Selby that her body was to receive special authority to be buried in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground, due to it having been closed.

Mark

Hello

Probable COOKE & LISTER link.

When Fanny Adolphine COOKE (Mother Hombourg / Homburg) died aged 69 in 1939, Wife of Colin Sims, her name was stated as:-

Fanny Adolphine Lister SIMS of South Manchester (dying 1939), Probate Index.

Also in 1881 Census as:- Fannie A. L. COOKE.
Fannie [Adolphine LISTER] COOKE.

Looks like there was a LISTER in the COOKE linage / side?

Because her Brother was called Frederick George Kraetzer COOKE at birth in 1863 (Mother Hombourg), District Warrington. 

KRAETZER coming from the Hombourg side.

Hi

I can see Adel Hombourg aged 45 in the 1861 census BORN Germany at Cheetham with Keraetzer Rassaerta (Dr of Arts, French Consul) born Mayence Germany. Relationship between the pair 'cousins'.

Adel died in Manchester in the late 1860's.

Somewhere in this Matthew Parkinson COOKE family, there must be a LISTER?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 29 January 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have been trying to trace all the child Births of Charles COOKE and Adolphine HOMBOURG

1863 Frederick George Hamlet Kraetzer COOKE (Hombourg) District - Warrington.
1864 Charles Frank Parkinson COOKE (Hornbourg) District - Warrington. BURIED 20 Oct 1864.
1865 Amelia Adelaide Louisa COOKE (Hombourg) District - Runcorn. [Census, born Wilderspool]
1867 Adelaide Theresa COOKE (Hornbourg) District - Runcorn.
1868         -          COOKE (Hombourg) District - Runcorn.
1869 Violet Annie COOKE (Hombourg) District - Barton upon Irwell. [Census, born Cadishead]
1870 Fanny Adolphine Lister COOKE (Hombourg) District - Barton upon Irwell.
1872 Adelaide Therese COOKE (Hombourg) District - Barton upon Irwell.
1873 Clara Edith COOKE (Hamburg) District - Barton upon Irwell.
1876 Adolphine Marie Frederika COOKE (Hombourg) District - Barton upon Irwell.
1877 Matthew Parkinson COOKE (Hombourg) District - Barton upon Irwell.
1879 Mary COOKE (Hombourg) District - Barton upon Irwell.
1880 Beatrice Minnie COOKE (Hombourgh) District - Barton upon Irwell.

13 children in total found.

Many of the female first names are linked to Royal Families ...
Amelia Adelaide Louise Theresa appear in the Saxe-Meiningen
Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg Gotha

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 00:27 GMT (UK) »

Hi

Another child

Harry COOKE mmn - Homburg. Birth registered FYLDE (visiting family perhaps) June Qtr. 1883

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Because Matthew Parkinson Cooke in Jamaica seems a dead-end.

I wondered if LISTER would give us this COOKE family somewhere?

COOKE = LISTER Marriages

John COOKE & Rebecca LISTER 25 July 1826 or 1827 North Luffenham.
Henry COOK & Sarah LISTER 1st April 1827 Whickham, Durham.
Thomas COOKE & Elizabeth LISTER 20th May 1828 Sculcoates.
Peter LISTER & Sarah COOK 16 June 1828 Worksop, Nottinghamshire.

A later one ...
Wm LISTER & Rebecca COOK 25 August 1862, Gt. Grimsby, Lincoln.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 00:59 GMT (UK) »

This is the only Cook/Lister marriage in the time frame when this family were living   - in Yorkshire

Thomas Cook a bricklayer and Bachelor, of the parish and Ann Lister spinster of the parish

Witnesses: John Braebure ? ? and John Thomas Winship.

Can give no other info on the Wickham marriage
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk