Author Topic: McDonough, Bernard/Bryan. Sligo to New Brunswick.  (Read 4155 times)

Offline RupertGypsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDonough, Bernard/Bryan. Sligo to New Brunswick.
« on: Monday 28 March 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Cheers and thanks for looking at my request. 

I am trying to find any connection for my gr-gr-grandfather to link him in Ireland.  According to the info I found in the 1851 census (http://automatedgenealogy.com/censusnb51/View.jsp?id=8264&highlight=23&desc=1851+Census+of+New+Brunswick+page+containing+Bernard+McDonough) he emigrated in 1836.  I can't find if via USA or direct.  (1836 records did not survive in New Brunswick).  I have checked about 20+ years either side and all ports/passengers lists I can get my hands on in Canada & USA.  He lived in Saint John, NB.

A newspaper notice noted that he was a native of Sligo. 

Bernard/Bryan's birth year is approx. 1822.  Died 1865.  He married (in New Brunswick a Mary Sweeney).  They had a child William Henry in 1847 (taken from family bible).  There are a number of William's in Saint John (different to my William) but haven't found a link to suggest they are related, although I think there is a connection somewhere.

I know it is a stab in the dark as I don't have anything in Sligo to "hunt" for, but I thought maybe someone out there might know a Bernard/Bryan who left for Canada around that time.  My Aunt (now deceased) thought he came over and left his family (brothers etc) behind.

I have hunted the records that I could in Ireland, but haven't found anything.  Beginning to think the stork brought him   ::) 

I would love to start the next part of my journey but also would love to find some family in Ireland too.

Thanking you  :)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McDonough, Bernard/Bryan. Sligo to New Brunswick.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There are 2 possible records, 1821 and 1824.
On his marriage, fingers crossed you have the record, what is his father's name?
Maggsie

Offline RupertGypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 14:53 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately no record (the marriage was noted in a book - book not mine) and on my enquiries with people in the area it seems unlikely that the marriage record would have had the parents names on it.  That would be too easy eh  :D  Couldn't find record of the marriage anywhere else.  Cheers.

Offline RupertGypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
This is the exact wording I have been given from the book.

"Byron McDONOUGH, mason / Mary SWEENEY, spinster, Saint John, 27 Nov 1844 J. Dunphy. Wit: Patrick McManus, Mary Fitzgerald, Stephen Thompson."  Book being:  "Marriages : Register C, Saint John County, New Brunswick, 1839-1847 by Ruby M. Cusack"

I'm going to try and get a hold of the person to see if there are notes in the book to see where the info was from and maybe that will guide me to getting a copy, although my understanding is prior to 1870 names were not required so I am not hopeful.  Cheers and thanks  :)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I searched again and there were 4 Bernard McDonough births in Sligo + or - 10 years.
Father's
Patrick, Bernard Terence and John.
All in the Parish of Riverstown, Sligo.
You would need a siblings name next to search.
I have done an open search just with McDonough and found one unnamed McDonough on the Canada lists, same year of birth and year of immigration, looking at the record ref. I found it had been entered twice and it was a girl, so sorry about that.
Let me know if your contact has anything else to go on.
Maggsie

Offline RupertGypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Will leave a note if I find anything in relation to sibling/parents.  Can you tell me where you found those names?  (ie website?)  I am going to try to dig a bit more to see if similarities in those families.  Cheers :)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 April 16 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
rootsireland.ie  but if you are in Ancestry, you can get the same records but not all the details.
The registers.nli.ie/ site, all these records are now in ancestry easier to find by searching riverstown in the keyword box, then adding the name.
If you get stuck I will see if I can get a list for you.
Maggsie