Author Topic: Robert Hall Oxley, born 1805 in Kirk-Leavington and Ann Oxley  (Read 970 times)

Offline rickyoxo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Hall Oxley, born 1805 in Kirk-Leavington and Ann Oxley
« on: Monday 28 March 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
PLEASE HELP! This is my first post on here.  I've been stuck for a while on the above mentioned Robert-Hall Oxley, baptised 20 Oct 1805 in Kirk-Leavington, illegitimate son of Ann Oxley.  This is particularly frustrating a s it is my direct paternal line.

From what I've read up on bastard children the clue to the father could be in the way the name is given and so in this case I'm hedging my bets that the father in this case is probably a Robert Hall.
My only problem is that I can be over picky and want to be sure that the person I add to my tree, both mother and father are correct. Please can anyone help me to be either more confident, tell me what I'm doing wrong or need to be doing. Also if anyone has any information on any 3 of the people I've mentioned it would be very gratefully appreciated.

I have pictures of his baptism if this would be of any help.

Kind regards.

Ricky O

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Hall Oxley, born 1805 in Kirk-Leavington and Ann Oxley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 16 19:19 BST (UK) »
PLEASE HELP! This is my first post on here.  I've been stuck for a while on the above mentioned Robert-Hall Oxley, baptised 20 Oct 1805 in Kirk-Leavington, illegitimate son of Ann Oxley.  This is particularly frustrating a s it is my direct paternal line.

I have pictures of his baptism if this would be of any help.
Kind regards.
Ricky O

Welcome to RootsChat.
Do you mean you have a copy of the parish register showing his baptism?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rickyoxo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in my reply.  Yes I have a copy of what I believe is the parish register from Find my Past, although I'm on Ancestry mainly.

Kind regards.

Ricky

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
On what records do you have his middle name as hall??

There is a tree on A******y  which supposedly has Robert's marriage and death but I can't find the middle name on either of those records

Do you have alice's background?
Were there any Halls in her family ??

Often an illegitimate child was given the father's surname as a middlename sometimes  the middle name is the name of the  mother's grandparents etc

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rickyoxo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 April 16 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

His middle name appears on a couple of his children's marriage certificates as Robert-Hall Oxley, John Oxley being one such child.

If I'm perfectly honest it looks more like they've just misspelt and crossed out illegitimate rather than written hall.  I know that she married an Anthony Sanderson the following year though and had several other children with him.

Kind regards.

Ricky