Author Topic: Emma TAYLOR (Spong)  (Read 1983 times)

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
Emma TAYLOR (Spong)
« on: Monday 28 March 16 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm looking for my great-grandmother, Emma Taylor's, parents. She was born between 1860 and 1862 in St. Giles (according to the 1901 Census return) and married George Daniel SPONG onn December 27, 1884. In the 1871 Census returns I do find an Emma TAYLOR, daughter of Thomas and Louisa. The family does not seem to be in the 1881 Census (at least that I've found so far) On her marriage record, her father's name is noted as being Thomas, but all those names are so common that I'm not sure how I can be sure I have the correct family. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emma TAYLOR (Spong)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome :)

It will help us to help you if you can tell us all the details from the 1884 marriage certificate, and Emma's details from the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census entries.  Have you looked for Emma in the 1939 Register (if she lived that long) for a precise birthdate?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
OK, I see that they settled in Green Lane, Battersea.  Emma's details seem to be consistent:

1891: 28 b London
1901: 38 b London, St Giles
1911: 48 b London, St Giles (per free index)

Death I think is Mar qtr 1933 Kingston, aged 71?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome :)

It will help us to help you if you can tell us all the details from the 1884 marriage certificate, and Emma's details from the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census entries.  Have you looked for Emma in the 1939 Register (if she lived that long) for a precise birthdate?

From the marriage record:

Married at the Register Office in the District of St. Giles, Middlesex
Date: December 27, 1884
Groom: George Daniel Spong, 25 years, bachelor, carriage lamp maker, 10 Little Earl Street, Father = Daniel Spong, Grocer

Bride: Emma Taylor, 21 years, spinster, 12 Lascelles Place, Broad Street, Father = Thomas Taylor, Vellum Binder

Married in the presence of: Daniel Spong and Thomas Taylor

--------

1871 Census

Name: Emma Taylor
Age   8
Estimated Birth Year   abt 1863
Relation   Daughter
Father's Name   Thomas Taylor
Mother's Name   Louisa Taylor
Gender   Female
Where born   St Giles, Middlesex, England
Civil parish   St Giles in the Fields
Ecclesiastical parish   St Giles in the Fields
Town   London

Household Members:

Name   Age
Thomas Taylor   42
Louisa Taylor   42
Alfred Taylor   17
Edward Taylor   15
Sarah Taylor   12
Alice Taylor   10
Emma Taylor   8
Jane Taylor   5
Mary A Taylor   3
Arthur Taylor   10 Months
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
On the 1891 census the SPONGs are living at the same address as Mary ann CHART and her husband. I think Mary Ann is Emma's sister and the Louisa TAYLOR also living with them is their mother. So the 1871 census family looks good to me.

Maureen

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thomas being a vellum binder on the marriage is good news as it is quite unusual and specific.

The Thomas Taylor you have found in 1871 was a machine ruler (unable to work). Not exactly the same as a vellum binder but it was another occupation in the printing trade so that is promising.  I agree that finding the family in 1861 and 1881 is a priority- will have a look.  But what Maureen has found looks very encouraging.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thomas Taylor was an account book ruler in 1861, when he and Louisa had 5 children: Thomas 11, Alfred 7, Ed. John 5, Sarah Ann 3 and Alice 9mo.  All born St Giles.

RG9/173/7/11.

The Yarranton family at the same address may be related, as they have with them Sarah Taylor (71, wid, b St Giles), mother in law of the head of household Edward Yarranton.

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, she died in February 1933.

Her later dates are all pretty consistent, it's her mother's details I'm still not sure of.

I had seen that machine ruler and looked it up and noted that it seemed as though it could be related to work as a velum binder. Maybe he was ill/injured in 1871 and recovered to work again later.

I assume there's not at this point much more I can do short of ordering a copy of what I believe to be her birth record:

Name:    Emma Taylor
Registration Year:    1862
Registration Quarter:    Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district:    St Giles
Parishes for this Registration District:    View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:    London
Volume:    1b
Page:    448

but I'm unclear as to whether this would include both her parents names and her mother's maiden name. I'm in Canada, so with the exchange it's about $20/cert so I want to be fairly certain before I order.

TIA - I didn't know about this site until recently!

OK, I see that they settled in Green Lane, Battersea.  Emma's details seem to be consistent:

1891: 28 b London
1901: 38 b London, St Giles
1911: 48 b London, St Giles (per free index)

Death I think is Mar qtr 1933 Kingston, aged 71?

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Maureen - I hadn't noticed that detail before!!! That's a wonderful clue for me to start working on  ;D

I so appreciate your keen eye and help!!

Teresa

On the 1891 census the SPONGs are living at the same address as Mary ann CHART and her husband. I think Mary Ann is Emma's sister and the Louisa TAYLOR also living with them is their mother. So the 1871 census family looks good to me.

Maureen