Author Topic: Bridge of Leppie, Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire - Mitchell family c 1871.  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I hope someone can help me pin down the location of the property my ancestor, John L Gordon was born at in 1871.  He is my great-grandfather and was born illegitimately at this place in Laurencekirk.  His mother, Elizabeth Gordon was also illegimate, being the daughter of Helen Gordon and William Pirie (some list her as Elizabeth Pirie, but I have never found a marriage entry for Helen and William).  By 1871, Helen had married John Mitchell and had a son (David) and daughter (Helen).  They were still residing at Bridge of Leppie.

The place itself is listed as "Bridge of Loppie" per Ancestry's transcripton.  I have looked on Google Earth until I am cross-eyed and been unable to locate it.  There are so many farms dotted around the area that don't seem to be named on the map that I could be overlooking it.

Anyone ever heard of it before?  I don't even see a Leppie Burn or Loppie Burn on the map.  Even if someone doesn't have an image of the place, directions to it on a map would be gratefully received.

Thank you for your help.
Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge of Leppie, Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire - Mitchell family c 1871.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I managed to find a location for the property (well 2 actually as it would appear that in modern times it is a street about 1/2 mile from the original location of the property, which is now demolished. 

Kay
Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,