Author Topic: Marriage of D O Hill and A Paton  (Read 859 times)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of D O Hill and A Paton
« on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
I have been trying without success to locate details of the marriage of the above couple, the well known artist David Octavius Hill and the sculptress Amelia Paton; Nothing seems to show up on Scotland's People which raises the question of whether they may have married outwith Scotland. 1862 is usually given as the year of their marriage and the date may have been 18th October. Can anyone throw some light on this?
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of D O Hill and A Paton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:50 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage notice in the Inverness Courier which gives date of marriage as 18th November 1862 at George Square, Edinburgh. Bride described as Amelia Robertson eldest daughter of J N Paton esq of Dunfermline.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this - she was indeed the daughter of Noel Paton and Robertson was her middle name so this is clearly the correct marriage. So why is it not on Scotland's People or am I somehow missing the obvious?
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 12:22 BST (UK) »
Possibly an irregular marriage which wasn't registered. I believe at this time there was no requirement to inform the Registrar and so, though the marriage was perfectly legal, it does not appear in the official records on SP.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Isobel. I have now found various reports of the marriage. They were married in George Square in Edinburgh by Rev Walter Smith of the Roxburgh Free Church. I would have thought that as a wedding conducted by a minister of a regular church this would have been registered; however clearly it is not on Scotland's People.  Alex.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
If I were you I would contact SP and query it, just in case it's an indexing oversight rather than a genuine omission. I am sure they would want to find the marriage of David Octavius Hill if it's there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.