Author Topic: grandfather with no name ? Canadian solder ww2..  (Read 1641 times)

Offline slothbear

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
grandfather with no name ? Canadian solder ww2..
« on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
hi
A friend of mine wanted help finding his grandfather from Canada , don't no if I am on the right forum ..

Problem is he was a solder in ww2 from Canada , no one knows his name , or if they did the name has gone with people who have passed on .

I am not 100 % but he worked in a hospital in Birmingham , during the war .

He did not marry the lady in question and whether he new he had a child or was going to have a child or not he returned to Canada , and everything was very hush hush..
and nothing else is known .
where do I start please  ?

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: grandfather with no name ? Canadian solder ww2..
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the birth registration of the child this man fathered? Is his name not listed?

Without a name I don't know how you can do anything. There were over a million Canadians who served in  WWII.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline slothbear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 16 00:58 BST (UK) »
thank you for reply ..
know there is no name on birth cert .

some other information is he was a medic in the Canadian army and they think he worked in a hospital in Birmingham , maybe around the area of marston green , as that's where the family was from .
apparently he did not see his child who was born in 1945 , it is said he had gone back to Canada ..

don't know if this may narrow down the search or maybe this post belongs in another forum ?

hope to narrow down from a million Canadian solders , hope someone can come up with a idea of where to start .
thank you .

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 16 01:44 BST (UK) »
...A friend of mine wanted help finding his grandfather from Canada.......

Going to be almost impossible without some kind of name to go by. But did the child born have anything unusual about his/her name? For example a middle name that might indicate the name of the father.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 16 02:55 BST (UK) »
Here is a brief description of the RCAMC (Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps). It mentions Birmingham as follows: "....No. 1 Canadian General Hospital.......opened in early 1941 near Birmingham with 600 beds but moved, beginning in December 1943, to various locations in Italy....."

https://www.junobeach.org/canada-in-wwii/articles/the-army-medical-organization/

It may be useful to contact the Birmingham Archives to see what they have on the subject.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 March 16 07:54 BST (UK) »
Not that this is going to help any, but the Canadian Hospital was at Berwicks lane, Marston Green. It later became Marston Green maternity hospital...... My sister was born there!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
Some useful links at http://www.voicesoftheleftbehind.com/where.shtml , albeit unfortunately, with absolutely no name clues, I would imagine your task to be nigh on impossible. There were no doubt numerous Canadian men who served in various roles within the Medical Corps at the hospital in Birmingham, any one of whom could have been the chap in question.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline slothbear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
thank you very much for everyone's help , I know it is a very hard task .
I will show my friend some of the ideas everyone has put forward .
maybe he may be able to get a bit more information from this .
thank you