Author Topic: Looking for Selina Louisa Slade born 1865  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Grga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Selina Louisa Slade born 1865
« on: Wednesday 30 March 16 01:23 BST (UK) »
My great great grandparents were George Slade, born in Walthamstow, Essex on 8 December 1841, and Selina Eliza Guy, born in Brighton, Sussex on 7 April 1835. They married in Brighton on 6 July 1863, and my great grandfather George William Slade was born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, on 19 December 1863.

Then, according to the Canadian census of 1901, George and George William migrated to Upper Canada in 1866, and Selina followed them a year later. Then George and Selina had two more kids, and are buried in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

So far, so confusing.

Then, I turned up a birth record on FamilySearch for Selina Louisa Slade, daughter of George and Selina Eliza Slade, christened in Mayfield, Sussex on 5 March 1865. And then... silence.

To begin with, I can't be sure that it's even my George and Selina who were the parents. Apparently, you couldn't swing a cat in Southern England in the 19th century without hitting a guy named George Slade. Although I would think that both the first and middle names matching for the mother would have to narrow things down considerably.

But in any case, Selina Louisa does not appear on the 1871 Canada census, nor can I find a death record or a marriage record for her anywhere. I'm tempted to assume that she took sick, and that Selina stayed behind to take care of her as the Georges headed off to the colonies, but that's just supposition. I don't have any data.

So if anybody can tell me:
  • whether Selina Louisa Slade was my great great aunt, or just somebody with similarly-named parents, and/or
  • what happened to her
I would be grateful.

Greg
Carmichael, French, Goodes, McMillan, Slade, Waddell, Welch, West

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Selina Louisa Slade born 1865
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 02:02 BST (UK) »
I would say that 'yes' this is your relative and that she either died en route to Canada or soon after.   The Ontario deaths index that I have access to didn't start until 1869 and it's quite possible she died between 1867-1868 and too early for the index.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
I would say that 'yes' this is your relative and that she either died en route to Canada or soon after.   The Ontario deaths index that I have access to didn't start until 1869 and it's quite possible she died between 1867-1868 and too early for the index.

That's one of the possibilities I considered. If I had been able to find them on passenger lists, I would at least know for sure that Selina Louisa was part of the family (and to look for her grave in Canada), but so far, I haven't been able to find either George or either Selina on any passenger lists.

Greg

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 07:23 BST (UK) »
On ancestry, Canadian Passenger Lists.
George Slade transcribed as George Glader on the index age 25 occupation Joiner arrived September 1866 on the St Andrew.
Selina E Slade is listed as Mrs. G Slade age 30 Housekeeper, child age 3 male, child age 2 female.  (son George 1863 and dau. Selina Louisa 1865)?
arrived 24 July 1867 ship called The Nova Scotian, from Liverpool to Quebec.

I think this is her again
Selina E Slade age 80 born 1835, nationality English, resident of Canada, arrived Buffalo New York 
August 1915 from Liverpool, then crossed into Canada at Niagara Falls on the 17th August 1915, contact her daughter Mrs B Lackey. (daughter Beatrice)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 07:34 BST (UK) »
1871 Census Canada, district 86 Parry Sound Ontario. Page 24
George Slade 29 born England, religion Baptist, occupation Farmer
Selina 33
George 7
Maud age 10 months born June.  (1870)

It looks like Selina Louise died after reaching Canada, I did not find anything to say she died en route.

Added 1881 census Halton Ontario
George Slade 40, born England, Methodist of Canada, occ. Merchant
Selina 43
George 17
Beatrice 10 (is this Maud of 1871)
Guy H age 8

Offline Grga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 16 02:20 BST (UK) »
On ancestry, Canadian Passenger Lists.
George Slade transcribed as George Glader on the index age 25 occupation Joiner arrived September 1866 on the St Andrew.

Oh, good catch! I've seen "Slade" mistranscribed seven ways from Sunday, and, granted, that purser's writing was pretty bad and the image is kind of fuzzy, but looking at the image (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-1865-1922/Pages/image.aspx?Image=e003526880&URLjpg=http%3a%2f%2fcentral.bac-lac.gc.ca%2f.item%2f%3fid%3de003526880%26op%3dimg%26app%3dpassengerlist&Ecopy=e003526880 - on the last line of the page), I can't make that last name come out to "Glader" no matter how I try. FamilySearch was closer, with "Dade", but I do believe it's actually "Slade". (Weird that they both got the first name right. It's much fuzzier.)

Unfortunately, I've encountered George Slade the Joiner before. I can't remember the date or the ship, but I found him on another passenger list, returning to Canada after a visit to England. I got all excited at the name until I saw the notation that he was going to live with his brother in (if I recall correctly) Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

My George was listed as a shop assistant in the 1861 England and Wales Census, and as a farmer in the 1871 Canada Census. And in 1871, they were living in Parry Sound, Ontario (about 2,000 km away from Cape Breton).

So, good sleuthing. But I'm pretty sure that's not my George.

Selina E Slade is listed as Mrs. G Slade age 30 Housekeeper, child age 3 male, child age 2 female.  (son George 1863 and dau. Selina Louisa 1865)?
arrived 24 July 1867 ship called The Nova Scotian, from Liverpool to Quebec.

That's tantalisingly little to go on, but what there is matches what I've found from other sources, so I think that could well be them.

I think this is her again
Selina E Slade age 80 born 1835, nationality English, resident of Canada, arrived Buffalo New York 
August 1915 from Liverpool, then crossed into Canada at Niagara Falls on the 17th August 1915, contact her daughter Mrs B Lackey. (daughter Beatrice)

Yes, George and Selina's daughter Beatrice Maud (http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Slade-673) married a man named William Henry Leckie in Toronto in 1894, and by the 1901 Canada Census, they were living in Vancouver, British Columbia. (And, at the time of the 1911 Census, Selina was living with them. I haven't found out where George was at the time.)

Greg

Offline Grga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 16 02:23 BST (UK) »
Beatrice 10 (is this Maud of 1871)

Very likely. Apparently, they called her "Maud" when she was a baby, and then she took back her first name as she got older. (My dad was the other way around: he hated his first name, and went by his middle name for most of his life.)

Greg