Author Topic: Searching for John Dowden and wife Mary  (Read 3333 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for John Dowden and wife Mary
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I would not dismiss the John DOWDALL index entry that Neil has found without first obtaining the details from the actual document that the index entry is pointing to.

DOWDALL may not be a name change, but simply a mis-heard DOWDEN.   

The information was recorded in 1862, in long hand, and a summary of the register was transmitted in long hand to the Registrar General's office in the following quarter.   Then it was not until the 1930s that the current index for the NSW BDM online website was initially prepared for use at NSW BDM.   So, for over 70 years the NSW BDM's head office register was regularly thumbed through pages worn out/ torn /marked etc.    "Dowdall" v "Dowden" in longhand 19th Century style handwriting may well be a worthwhile option.   Of course you would likely need to actually purchase the death certificate itself rather than an official transcription to see the actual handwriting to actually form you own opinion as to whether it may be possible for the surname to be Dowden/Dowdan.   But the official transcription would give you the information that the informant provided when the death was being registered.  So it may have responses to the family history section.  For example, it may have the length of time in the colonies; the place of birth; if known to be married, the wife's name including nee; details about the children of the marriage; his occupation; and other clues to help you eliminate or validate John DOWDALL as being your elusive chap. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline nyteowl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Good point JM, it's actually something I hadn't even thought about ( silly me) I may have to purchase it and find out.

Apologies Neil on me not thinking, and Thanks once again
Copeman
McCooey
Phillips
Ricketts
Plunkett
Ballantyne
Bartle

Offline tlee1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 16 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I also am a descendant and would like to know more information as well.
Petersen
Darr
Cochrane

Offline nyteowl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 August 16 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi tlee 1986, where do you fit into the Dowden tree? I will organise what I know and post it for you to compare.

cheers
Copeman
McCooey
Phillips
Ricketts
Plunkett
Ballantyne
Bartle