Author Topic: A Rare List of Covenanter Baptisms between 1675 and 1679  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Rare List of Covenanter Baptisms between 1675 and 1679
« on: Wednesday 30 March 16 21:53 BST (UK) »
   Although these baptisms took place in the Fields of the Parish of Torpichen in Linlithgowshire some Covenanters came from other counties, so there may be a name in this list that you have been looking for - https://drmarkjardine.wordpress.com/2016/03/30/a-rare-list-of-covenanter-baptisms-history-scotland-genealogy/
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline LindseyC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: A Rare List of Covenanter Baptisms between 1675 and 1679
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
I found this when looking through the Scottish resources section.

The reason I'm interested is that I have reason to believe I'm descended from Major Joseph Learmonth.

Does anyone know of any reasonably readable books that cover the events he was involved in?

Thanks,

Lindsey

US - Paton

Scotland - Paton, MacKenzie, Morrison, Urquhart, Bryce, Lindsay, Izett, Ferrier, Crawfurd, Strath,
England - Williams, Jones, Whitnall, Abbott, Rayner, Rowden, Hawker, Northcote, Seaman

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Rare List of Covenanter Baptisms between 1675 and 1679
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
  There are several references to Major Joseph Learmont in the Jardine pages.   I picked out one and it does tell us a little about him - https://drmarkjardine.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/covenanters-secret-tunnel-discovered-in-lanarkshire/

Actually there is quite a lot written about him in the above link.   I have only scanned through it and spotted one relative - brother in law, William Hamilton.    So often when we hit a brick wall the next step is to examine all we can find on relatives.

You can also search his name and get a number of hits in various books.

Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett