Author Topic: Trying to trace Martha wife of William Smith b:1874  (Read 3487 times)

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to trace Martha wife of William Smith b:1874
« on: Friday 01 April 16 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to RootsChat but have been researching family tree for a few years. Have hit a brick wall! I have a William Smith b:1874 Bristol and know his wife was Martha. They both died (1940's) in Stonehouse, Glos  but other than that can not trace her at all. I am not entirely sure but I think William Smith may possibly be a son of Gildroy Smith b:1837 Leonard Stanley, Glos. Gildroy & his wife Eve (nee Stephens) are on 1881 Census with a son William aged 7. Can anyone help with information that might discover identity of Martha (married William Smith abt 1896) or anything to confirm if William Smith is Gildroy's son? (William & Martha travelled Glos,Wilts,Surrey areas). Thanks  :)
Lamb Travelled Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire & Middlesex areas finally settling 1950s Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.
Smith Travelled Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Surrey & Hampshire.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace Martha wife of William Smith b:1874
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 16 08:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

This marriage looks to be a possibility?

September qtr 1896
Bath Registration District     vol 5c, page 961

Smith, William
+ and on the same page +
Green, Martha
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 16 10:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

This marriage looks to be a possibility?

September qtr 1896
Bath Registration District     vol 5c, page 961

Smith, William
+ and on the same page +
Green, Martha

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.
I will look into this record, the date and area look a good match.  Thank you.
Lamb Travelled Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire & Middlesex areas finally settling 1950s Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
They definitely married each other at St. Pauls, Bath see www.bathbmd.org.uk

Georginas birth certificate would give her mothers maiden name to be certain.  Registered Clutton district March Quarter 1908 Volume 5c page 458.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 16 16:27 BST (UK) »
They definitely married each other at St. Pauls, Bath see www.bathbmd.org.uk

Georginas birth certificate would give her mothers maiden name to be certain.  Registered Clutton district March Quarter 1908 Volume 5c page 458.

Regards,
Mo

Hi Mo, thanks very much for your reply with the link to BathBMD.
I found the Clutton birth reference for Georgina in Ancestry but the index doesn't give mother's maiden name so I will order a copy birth certificate as it does appear to be the best match. if the birth cert confirms mother's maiden name to be Green I will order a marriage cert too.
many thanks,  :)

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 April 16 09:31 BST (UK) »
William Smith, known as Willem was the son of Guilroy and Eve.
He had one eye having lost one with a peg knife.

My great grandad Samuel was his brother. Three of the brothers married the daughters of their uncle Natty Smith. Some say that Martha was another one of the daughters of Natty and his Davies wife.

Willem was the last of the Smith brothers to stay in Leonard Stanley with Guilroy who ran a coal yard after his conversion to Christianity.

His brother Reuben was a preacher of some renown and travelled the world as an evangelist.

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
William Smith, known as Willem was the son of Guilroy and Eve.
He had one eye having lost one with a peg knife.

My great grandad Samuel was his brother. Three of the brothers married the daughters of their uncle Natty Smith. Some say that Martha was another one of the daughters of Natty and his Davies wife.

Willem was the last of the Smith brothers to stay in Leonard Stanley with Guilroy who ran a coal yard after his conversion to Christianity.

His brother Reuben was a preacher of some renown and travelled the world as an evangelist.

Hi Vince
Thanks very much for your reply.

Hopefully I'll be able to get myself onto the right track soon, the information you have given me sounds very good. Have I read your reply correctly - Did Willem marry a Martha? if yes, then they could be who I am looking for.

The information you have about Martha sounds really useful as I don't know for sure her maiden name but our family seems to think that she may have also been a Smith before marrying William.

William and Martha Smith are my great grandparents. Their daughter Emily-Louisa Smith is my grandmother.
We were always told when we were growing up that Emily had an uncle who was a famous preacher which is why I thought perhaps William could be connected to Gildroy & Rueben.
I have among some of the few bits of information we have, a newspaper cutting about a monument to Gypsy Smith in Epping Forest and as a child remember being told this was a relative. Sorry my information is sketchy but we have no older generations around to ask now.

William & Martha's first daughter Tilly married Israel Davis and lived in Gloucestershire too. I know that William & Martha are both buried in Stonehouse, Glos.

Hope you don't mind me asking but if you have any more information on Natty's daughter Martha I'd love to know as so far I have drawn a complete blank trying to trace her. All I have is the 1911 Census that shows her birth place as Stourbridge but how accurate that is I don't know.
Thanks once again for your reply  :)

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 16 17:02 BST (UK) »
If you go on Eric Trudgehill's wonderful Gypsy Genealogy website and click on Merrick Lock heading, there's a wealth of information of our family.
Rodney Smith who's memorial is in Epping forest was a distant cousin of Reuben who probably introduced him to Christianity
 My Dad is 84 and has a good memory. We know some of Israel Davies living relatives.   
Have you seen the photos of Willem and Martha on Romany Genes ? Also picture of Guilroy, Reuben and brother Samson.

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 April 16 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Vince
Thanks very much for your help, that's fantastic news and much appreciated.
I have found the picture of Reuben and Guilroy on Romany Genes, they are great pictures. Sadly I couldn't find one of Willem and Martha. I would love to see a picture of my gt grandparents so I will keep searching.

I have been in touch with RTFHS who have been very helpful and sent me links to Eric Trudgehill's Genealogy site but until now I hadn't been able to confirm if it was the right link for me as I hadn't been able to trace Martha.

It's wonderful you still have your dad to hear first hand about all his memories. My dad (and mum) passed away a long time ago. My dad did used to tell us stories when we were young but I guess when you're young you don't take much notice. So now I'm older (and wiser haha!) I'm trying to piece together the pieces for the family tree.

Thanks once again for your help  :)