Author Topic: Moloney family in Co Clare in the 1800's  (Read 2279 times)

Offline pedroandme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moloney family in Co Clare in the 1800's
« on: Friday 01 April 16 05:39 BST (UK) »
I live in Australia and would love to find out more about my Gr Grand Father James Moloney’s life in Tulla Co Clare in the 1800's with his mother and father.
James Moloney was born in Spaightspark Tulla  Co Clare on November 17th 1865. I have his birth certificate.  He died in Western Australia on Sept 12th 1954. I also have the death certificate.
I've not been able to find out when exactly he came to Australia.
His mother was Johanna (Judy or Julia) Walsh. Born about 1841. She died on May 8th 1913 in Ireland.
His father was James Moloney. He was a farmer. He was born in 1826 in Tulla and died at Killanena   Spaightspark  Parish of Feakle in 1901 between Oct-Dec.
He and Johanna (Judy or Julia) Walsh were married in 1854.
I do not have any certificates for his mother and father.
That’s all I know about them and I have not been able to source any certificates.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated, Karen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moloney family in Co Clare in the 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
No need to start a new topic- a moderator could have moved your first one to the CLARE board.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=743929

Have you found the family in the 1901 (and 1911) census? If so, please post the links to make it easier to help you.

In 1901 I did find this Johana Moloney living with family in Spaightspark townland but she's a widow-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Clare/Killanenna/Spaightspark/1087672
Possibly the same woman as Judith in 1911?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Clare/Killanena/Spaightspark/370781

Have you checked the Catholic Parish registers?
http://registers.nli.ie/

The area borders Co. Galway which you might need to keep in mind when searching. You'll also need to be very careful as the names you are looking for seem to be very common in that area.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pedroandme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks aghadowey for the reply.  I did think a moderator would move my original post to the Clare board but after a couple of weeks nothing had happened so didn't know what to do so posted it again here. Hope it hasn't caused any duplication problems.
Thanks for the link to the Catholic Parish registers. I have not known about that and will have a good look.
The 1901 link to the census is the same record that I had seen previously. That all makes sense and she would have been a widow at that time since her husband James would have very recently deceased. I'm not sure about the 1911 census. Her age doesn't work out.
I will look further a field into Co. Galway and bear that in mind. The names are indeed very common and contributes to the confusion.
All the best,  Karen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Ah, then her husband James perhaps died Oct./Dec.1900?

Many thanks aghadowey for the reply.  I did think a moderator would move my original post to the Clare board but after a couple of weeks nothing had happened so didn't know what to do so posted it again here. Hope it hasn't caused any duplication problems.
The moderators are all volunteers but usually are fairly quick at responding to reported posts so it may just be that your message to them didn't get through to the team.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!