Author Topic: Is this taken at Easterhouse?  (Read 4914 times)

Offline HOUSE2000

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this taken at Easterhouse?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 April 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you treetotal for your help and suggestions. I've just finished sending an email to the website you mentioned so hopefully I'll get some information from there. Thank you again
McAdam - Dunbartonshire/Kilmaronock - Scotland
Colquhoun - Dunbartonshire - Luss/Cardross. Tayvallich
Hambley - Scotland and Cornwall
Giles - Lochgelly, Fife & Lanarkshire
Mathieson - Scotland
Deazeley - Scotland & Ireland
Yates - Lanarkshire
Gordon - Lanarkshire & Ireland
Whyte/White - Fife & Lanarkshire
McLaren - Perthshire & Dunbartonshire

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 April 16 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi House,

The nearest churches most accessible to Westerhouse Farm were St Josephs on Cardowan Road, Stepps, and St John's Episcopal Church, in Swinton Road, Baillieston.  I think the latter may be the location you are looking for.

In the early 1910's, the A8 did not exist, and the area next the church was open ground.  The primary school was about 300yds. from the church. (http://maps.nls.uk/view/75650694)

I was puzzled by the shape of righthand side of the roofline of the building in the background of the photograph you posted - there seemed to be a change in the pitch of the roof.

However, if you look at pictures of the church, it has corner buttresses set out at 135o to the corners of the main structure (https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm244/ladypjg/Churches%252520Cemeteries/OldChurchandGraveyardBaillieston14.jpg&imgrefurl=http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/ftopic627-0-asc-80.php&h=600&w=800&tbnid=-frUZeHqY12uKM:&docid=Y1iUIk3WfaDGDM&itg=1&ei=eckCV-DSDcPoUrvBm7gK&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwig8_e15PXLAhVDtBQKHbvgBqcQMwg4KBQwFA.)  The tops of these buttresses themselves are pitched, and when viewed from different angles at ground level, will give the impression of an altered pitch at the lower section of the main roof.
The wall behind the pupils may well be the wall of the graveyard.
Apologies for the link lengths.

Happy hunting
Istrice

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 April 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
The school's was called was West Maryston opened in 1876 it was on the north side of canal at Easterhouse just west of West Maryston and served both communities and probably Swinton.  You can see it on the NLS maps although in the earlier ones it is shown much larger than it was.  A second school was built just below Easterhouse Station in Swinton in the mid 1920's. 

Maybe you can find some photos.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline HOUSE2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I'll have a look at all the links and information you have posted.
McAdam - Dunbartonshire/Kilmaronock - Scotland
Colquhoun - Dunbartonshire - Luss/Cardross. Tayvallich
Hambley - Scotland and Cornwall
Giles - Lochgelly, Fife & Lanarkshire
Mathieson - Scotland
Deazeley - Scotland & Ireland
Yates - Lanarkshire
Gordon - Lanarkshire & Ireland
Whyte/White - Fife & Lanarkshire
McLaren - Perthshire & Dunbartonshire

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
DonM,
           You say there was a school at West Maryston on the north side of the canal.    Well, in the Stenlake Publishing booklet "Old Baillieston, Garrowhill and Easterhouse" by Rhona Wilson, there is a photo of what may be a school, just next to the canal.     

It is on the back cover of the booklet, and it does look like a small school to me.    It appears to have a flagpole, and the flagpole seems to indicate that this may be a playground.        This photo is not identified, but the reason I think it is West Maryston is that there is a photo of the canal at West Maryston on page 48 of the booklet which is very similar to it.     I think the two photos were taken within a few hundred yards of each another.       

P.S.   The photo on page 48 has already appeared as a link on this thread.      There is a barge on it - which looks identical to one in the photo on the back page of the booklet.   

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
      This is the school I mentioned above.    At least I think it is a school, and I think it may be at West Maryston.     Can't be certain though.      Oops - the picture didn't come out right.
I am not too good with that side of it.   ...Scroll down to foot of photo, then drag it across to see the right of it.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The school I referred to in an earlier post was not the one at West Maryston, but the one in Camp Row, Baillieston, which is much closer to the Church.  There were two schools in this area, one of which was most likely to have been closely linked to the adjacent RC Church in Buchanan Street (Previous Map Ref refers).
The windows of the West Maryston school differ from those in House's original photograph.  The original shows a different stone, possibly sandstone, used in the window construction, and there is no hint of a drip course above the window, as there is over the windows in the West Maryston photograph.

Regards
Istrice

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
    The school in Camp Road was St Bridgets.      I went to the school on the south side of Camp Road, which was a Protestant school:  Baillieston Junior Secondary School.      St Bridget's chapel is in Swinton Road, and is so close to St Bridget's school that I have often wondered if the children sometimes went to the chapel through a back entrance.     I will see if I can find a photo.     

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
       This is St Bridget's School.     I took this photo about a year ago.     As you can see, the school sits well back off Camp Road.    I don't think the outside appearance of it has changed much since the 1950's.     St Bridget's chapel is to the right, out of sight.