Author Topic: Jane Buck abt 1795 Dublin  (Read 1145 times)

Offline maggie2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jane Buck abt 1795 Dublin
« on: Friday 01 April 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
I have discovered that Jane (who married Clotworthy Dobbin Devitt 1816 at St Mary's Dublin) died 16/10/1832 leaving 10 children.  Last known address was 4 Hamilton Row Dublin.  Is there anyone that maybe able to help with the Buck's who was Jane's parents and siblings and what happened to the children.

I have found 4 children that were living in England in the Midlands and I am descended from John Furlong Devitt b.1824 I have drawn a blank with the Devitt Family unable to go further with the Irish records,  apart from knowing Clotworthy's fathers name James and stated as being born in Antrim on the 1861 England Census

Hoping that someone may have so information for me ;)

Regards
Maggie

Offline timdar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Buck abt 1795 Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Jane BUCK is part of my grandmother's BUCK family.  Jane's parents were Andrew Buck (ca 1756-ca 1820) and Maria Campbell, both of Dublin.  Very happy to elaborate on what we know if this is of help - but not a lot known by us on that immediate bit of the family as it still needs some further research.  But there is little doubt that it links in to Rev Dr Andrew Buck (1725-1795) who was headmaster of the Oxmantown Academy in Dublin until his death in 1795 and thus into the Bucks of Limerick and Cork.  They were all Church of Ireland.
Tim

Offline maggie2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 17 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim
I haven't visited RootsChat for ages and have only just seen your message.   I had found evidence that Jane's parents were Andrew Buck and Maria Campbell but the family only appear to possibly link into Dr Rev Andrew Buck and Elizabeth Sydney, do you have more positive information that Andrew is a child from that marriage?   I look forward to hearing from you with any further information you may have on my branch of the Buck's 
Regards
Maggie

Offline timdar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Maggie: 
We do not have definitive proof at the moment but the dates are right and there are clues in the Andrew names and the fact that legal deeds show Andrew pragmaticus (Esq) acting as lawyer to members of Rev Dr Andrew (clerics)'s family.  With effectively no church records coming through, we are putting most effort into the newspaper searches and have found there just in the last fortnight details of a further sister of Jane's (Frances Buck married Vaughan Waldron in Dublin 1799).  Newspapers have been invaluable!
There are also presumably a good number of other children of Jane's to be identified.  I am hoping someone else traces their family back to one of those and posts here or on Ancestry!  The elder ones would have been old enough at her death to be making their own way in life but it seems surprising only four young ones surfaced in England.

Offline maggie2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

Thank you so much for the above information.  I imagine that there are possibly many more children of that marriage as well.  It certainly is tricky without church records to back up information.  We have lost the trail completely with regards to Jane's husband Clotworthy, I and a cousin have been whittling away at this since 2003 and a lot of our invaluable information has come from newspapers as well.  You said your grandmother has a Buck line I would very much love you to share any other information you may have and really hope that someday from trawling through newspapers we finally make the positive connection to Rev Dr Andrew and my solicitor Andrew.
Thanks and Regards
Maggie