Author Topic: Private John Joseph Coward 20933 3rd Middlesex Regiment  (Read 340 times)

Offline Scathelock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Private John Joseph Coward 20933 3rd Middlesex Regiment
« on: Saturday 02 April 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
I have recently attempted to find some information about my maternal grandfather, John Joseph Coward (1902-1966). I am told he joined up shortly after WWI and was sent to the Rhineland. I know his number '20933' and that he was a private in the 3rd Middlesex Regiment through information on his marriage certificate. Unfortunately I drew a blank with Find My Past, is there any other sites I could try, or were records of this regiment destroyed?

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Private John Joseph Coward 20933 3rd Middlesex Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 16 09:32 BST (UK) »
The Middlesex Regiment, or a successor regiment,  may have a regimental museum somewhere?   Search for that museum, I advise.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 16 09:36 BST (UK) »
The Middlesex Regiment added the 3rd and 4th Regular battalions in 1900 during the Boer War. Both were disbanded in August 1922. Any existing men serving in either battalion should have been transferred to the 1st or 2nd (Regular) Battalions or another regiment, or discharged, if they found they had too many.

Before that the army replaced regimental numbers with seven-digit army numbers. The Middlesex were given numbers in the block 6188001 to 6278000.

Records of men discharged after (technically August) 1920 remain with the MOD. Their regimental museum lost its premises in 1902 with their artifacts being given to the National Army Museum. Maybe they or someone on the Great War Forum will know where their records are, and if they are accessible.

Otherwise you will have to spend £30 with the MOD.

Ken

Offline Scathelock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ken and ScouseBoy. I will try The Great War Forum and MOD.