Author Topic: Ayton's in Ayrshire?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ayton's in Ayrshire?
« on: Saturday 02 April 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
There has been a story passed down in my family that the Ayton side of our family originally came from Ayrshire and lived in a big house called Great Ayton. I haven't found any information to support this yet and was wondering if anyone knows of the family or the house?

The family I do know is my great great grandmother: Susannah Jane Ayton b. 1855 Southwark, Surrey d. Pingelly, Western Australia 1929. She had 4 siblings.

Her father was James Ayton b. approx 1835 in Surrey, he married a Susannah also known as Ann.

I would appreciate any help as being in Australia limits my research efforts.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Ayton's in Ayrshire?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi LindaN!  Welcome to Rootschat.

If you visit the link below, there are some good references to Ayton and Ayton House.

Hopefully you may find something significant to you in there to help you!

It's quite a way down on the page - it's a long one!

Happy hunting - and don't hold back from asking more questions - lots of good researchers on here always happy to assist.

Modified - Sorry - forgot to add the link.  Duh!

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/scotland/pp84-91

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jeanne.

I've had a look and its quite interesting but unfortunately I have no way of knowing from that if my family came from there or how far back I'd have to go. Especially since I need information from before the census' were done.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
Just keep a note of it, as you travel backwards into the correct time frame you may well be able to make a connection.

Looks like a good place to start would be finding the marriage record of James Ayton b 1835 in Surrey to Susannah, known as Ann, if you have already got the records back from yourself to that couple yet.

If not, post the details back from yourself on here, and I'm sure the Rootschat "machine" will kick in for you shortly!

Just a point to remember - for your own protection, we are not permitted to post names or details of living people, or email addresses etc on Rootschat.  Once you have made 3 posts on here, you will be able to receive and send Private Messages.

Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 April 16 05:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. While I have possibilities for their marriage records eg. Susannah Bundock married 4 Jul 1853 in Lambeth, I am not 100% that it is the same people. This record gives James fathers name as Francis also a shoemaker which I have not managed to pair with birth records or the 1841, '51 census' yet.

I am hoping someone may have come across them in their family trees somewhere along the line and have more sources matching up.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 April 16 11:43 BST (UK) »
1851 Census
Francis Ayton, 57, Shoemaker
Elizabeth Ayton, 37, Wife
Edward Ayton, 15, Son
Phillis Ayton, 11
Emma Ayton, 26 Mths?, Daug
Elizabeth Ayton, 13, Daug
HO107/1564/132/37

1841 search for Edward AGTON 1836 Surrey;

1 page back we have;
Francis Hayton, 48, Shoemaker
Francis, 18, Shoemaker
JAMES, 12*****
HO1071085/3/St George The Martyr

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 16 12:30 BST (UK) »
1871 Census James Wife is down as Sasanh Ayton born c 1833, Southwark, Surrey, England

1881 she is Ann Ayton born c 1831 Deptford, Kent, England

Death Reg;
SUSANNAH ANN Ayton, Dec 1874, Lambeth, 1d 240
Age 41

Marriage Familysearch.Org
01 Sep 1879, St. John'S, Walworth, Surrey, England
James AYTON, Widowed, Father FRANCIS Ayton
Ann CUSHING, Single, Father JOHN Cushing

1881 Census
James Ayton, 46
Ann Ayton, 50
Susanah Ayton, 26
George Ayton, 17
Alice Ayton, 13
Frederick Ayton, 11
Rosa Ayton, 8

James Ayton, 53
George Edward Ayton, 26
Alice Louisa Ayton, 22
Rose Emmeline Ayton, 17

James Ayton, 67
George Ayton, 37
Alice Ayton, 33
Fredk Ayton, 30
Rose Ayton, 27

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 April 16 03:21 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for that Trish. I never thought that he may have lost his wife and remarried in between census'. It all makes more sense now.

Now I can start working on Francis Ayton.