Author Topic: Constance Muriel Steell  (Read 5853 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Constance Muriel Steell
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
Also, she is listed in the Roll of Honour at the Scottish National War Memorial, Edinburgh Castle.

http://snwm.org/content/roll-search/

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 20:22 BST (UK) »
..... but it does.

Her father at the time of his marriage on 3 August 1886 was an "Orange Planter" with the address of Lane Park Florida.     

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 08:54 BST (UK) »
..... but it does.

Her father at the time of his marriage on 3 August 1886 was an "Orange Planter" with the address of Lane Park Florida.     

Missed that one should have put my glasses on  ;D

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Well! I have Constance’s Death Certificate and is quoted as age 26 making her birth year 1891, her death was registered by her Father, Edwin L.J. Steell; who , I am sure, would have been aware of her age? Her cause of death was “Cerebro Spinal Meningitis”.

I am still confused regarding her birth year and I come back to the reference in the 1891 census of her age of 3 years. The 1891 census was conducted on Sunday 5 April that could suggest that she was born in January 1891 and her age would have been “3 Months” when he census was taken ????

You are doing well Rosie;  an orange tree planter in Florida, where Constance was born. I am awaiting a reply from GRO regarding where I could obtain a Birth Certificate; I understand that unless it was registered with the British Consulate it is going to be difficult we will have to see!

My life is so slow now that I have to find time to look after my unfortunate ladies.

Tony

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 15:49 BST (UK) »
So we have three census enumerators (1891, 1901, 1911) who got it wrong.
A memorial stone that got it wrong.
A registration that was possibly wrong.

The image of the 1891 census (forgive me Rootschat for I have sinned again).

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 16:12 BST (UK) »
Forgive me Une but if Daddy didn't know how old his daughter was when she died who did? After all he must have given the details to the Registrar. I can only quote what I see as reasonable.

I am making an attempt to obtain a Birth Certificate that is an even more difficult process especially for my physical condition. By a miracle I may obtain a B.C,

Tony

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 19:47 BST (UK) »

Hello all,

It looks to me like the age at death for Constance, at 26 years is a grief stricken fathers mistake at the shock of his only childs death. All the other evidence points to a birth 1888/89.

Her parents Edwin Landeer John Steell, married Eliza Levy Sanbach, 1886. Skirling, Peebles.

There is also a death for her mother Eliza Levy Sanbach/ Steell, 1942. age 83 years, Newington, Edinburgh.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 April 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
Yes would agree with the age of death being recorded wrong the age on the stone says 28 years the birth certificate will confirm ....Births from Uk Registers British Consulates now showing any thing  :(
Rosie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 April 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
I thought maybe finding a incoming passenger shipping manifest just prior to the date of the 1891 census would help further, but have not been able to find anything (on a/try). Can see outgoing entries to the US for Edwin L J Steell and one with wife on outgoing manifests but not seeing anything so far for return trips to the UK.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk