Author Topic: John NICHOLSON excise officer  (Read 2660 times)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
John NICHOLSON excise officer
« on: Sunday 03 April 16 09:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on the ancestry of Margaret NICHOLSON, born about 1822 Todmorden, Yorkshire.

I have ;
when she married William TYRER in 30 Dec 1847, she was described as “full age, Spinster, residing at Islington [Liverpool], daughter of John NICHOLSON, excise officer”
   - one of the witnesses was a “Rebecca NICHOLSON”
the 1851 Census described as “Wife, Married, Aged 29, Born: Todmorden, Yorkshire”
the 1861 Census described as “Wife, Married, Aged 39, Born: Todmorden, Yorkshire”

As per both the 1822 & the 1823 editions of "History, directory & gazetteer, of the county of York" ;
"Todmorden, in the parishes of Halifax and Rochdale . . . . [resident in Langfield] NICHOLSON John, supervisor of excise"

As per "White's 1837 Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire" ;
"HALIFAX DIRECTORY . . . . NICHOLSON John, excise, 4 Brunsk. St"

I am stuck. Can anyone please help me further?

Regards
Grantley

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John NICHOLSON excise officer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
There are no entries at all for Margaret Nicholson 1820-1822 in Yorkshire C of E records, and none in Lancashire with a father named John - BT's for Lancashire include Todmorden in the parish of Rochdale.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Lindyboo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
The address ‘Brunsk. St’ will be Brunswick Street which still exists though has few if any properties remaining on it.  I used to work for Customs and they had – perhaps still have – an archive department where you might find more info on your Nicholson ancestor.  The department as a whole is nowadays very poorly staffed, so the archive office may have closed down, but some of the records were held at Ralli Quays in Manchester and I think all records relating to Northern branches were deposited there (they used to be held in individual offices).  If you’re lucky and anyone is answering the phones there, you can ask at the switchboard (HMRC websites are very poor and have little up-to-date info, so they are likely to disappoint).

If your ancestor was a ‘supervisor’ of excise then that was quite an important post (not now, alas – it ranks lower than toilet cleaner these days) so there’s a good chance he’ll be recorded somewhere and with some detail.

I used to work with an Officer Nicholson in Halifax – maybe he was related!
McDANIELSON - worldwide
MULDOON/BANKS Co Sligo
SCHOFIELD Yorkshire
PULLEN/PULLEYN + variants Yorkshire
DUTTON - Stockport, Glossop, Halifax
JACKSON - Stockport
WALKER - Ireland
McDONALD/McDONNELL - Ireland Co Mayo
STAKE - Brighouse
BRADLEY - Pontefract
ASPINALL/SYKES - Brighouse & Ripponden

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 16 15:16 BST (UK) »
Baptism of Rebecca at St.Peters Liverpool

30th December, 1834
Rebecca Wilkinson, John and Jane Nicholson, Collingwood St, Excise Officer

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 April 16 15:48 BST (UK) »
2/4/1806 Manchester Catherdral

John Nicholson Bach 21 married Jane Wilkinson spinster.

**should be Williamson*** not Wilkinson :-X

Possible marriage?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 April 16 17:32 BST (UK) »
Looks like another sibling.

Baptism 1 Mar 1809 Halifax, St John
Will'M son of John & Jane Nicholson.  Father an Officer of Excise, Stainland
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, were there two excise officers named John Nicholson?  :-\

Leeds Mercury 23 April 1814
Same day (Monday last) Mr John Nicholson, Officer of Excise, to Miss Mary Dean, both of this town.

Wakefield, All Saints
Born 20 Jul 1822, baptised 09 Oct 1822, Edward Nicholson s/o John Nicholson, Officer of Excise, & Mary.  Both of Garden Street.

1841 Census, Redeness Street, St Cuthbert, York
John Nicholson 60  Exciseman   
Elizabeth Nicholson 55           
William Nicholson 15 Joiner Apprentice

None were born in county 

Leeds Times, 6 June 1846
On Thursday, at Leeds, highly respected, John Nicholson, officer of Excise, in the 67th year of his age
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 16 22:10 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, what a great start to the day.

Thank you everyone. This has giving me some great leads.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

Regards
Grantley
South Australia
:) :)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 April 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
An old posting ;

Carlisle Journal, BMD, Saturday 13 Jun 1846 (p. 3, col. 6-7)
At Leeds, on the 4th inst., Mr. John NICHOLSON, Officer of Excise, aged 66 years. He had been busily engaged in active official work till within a few weeks of his decease. Respected by a large circle of friends, as well as by his superiors, whose esteem he had gained by respectful and punctual attention in the observance of his duty. Besides fulfilling in a satisfactory manner the onerous and sometimes very trying duties of his calling for upwards of forty years, Mr. N. found leisure to cultivate an extensive acquaintance with the sciences of geology, mineralogy, astronomy, optics, &c. When only sixteen years old, he constructed a Tabular Almanack, foretelling the eclipses and other changes of the sun, moon, &c., up to the year 1860—and so far, all his calculations have been correctly established. Several specimens of his skill in the construction of microscopes and telescopes, the grinding and polishing of lenses as well as the fitting-up of their tubes and stands, were greatly admired by connoisseurs, as gems of their kind, and amply testified to his practical knowledge of science. Mr. N. was a native of Ousby, a village situate a little to the west of Crossfell, in this county, where his progenitors had tilled their paternal acres—"Ut prisca gens mortalium." His remains were interred at Thirsk, on the 6th instant.

:) :)