Author Topic: Henry Knibb  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Shogmoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Knibb
« on: Sunday 03 April 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
Henry Knibb appeard first in Quainton in 1753 when he married Anne Marriott.  There are no earlier sightings of Henry.  A few years later a Jonas Knibb appeared in Quainton.  Not certain if they are connected. Would love to get back further than 1753 with Henry. Tried all records but with no luck.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Knibb
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
Firstly, have you tried variations on the surname, and the latinized version of the christian name.

Secondly, have you approached the Bucks family history society for a name search.

Thirdly, as Quainton is close to the Oxfordshire county line, have you tried Oxfordshire.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 16 14:28 BST (UK) »
As Steve says, worth getting a search done by the Bucks FHS as not very expensive. If draw a blank there, I would also check south Northamptonshire because I have a family in Quainton who migrated from Wicken in the late 1700s and there is also at least one other family from the Towcester area who end up in Quainton via Stowe at about the same time.  The Northants records are now viewable on Ancestry.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree with 'Smudgie'.

Bucks is one of those counties that borders several other counties, and is a prime county for 'passing through', so to speak.

If you could look at a map, the main highways of the time were the old Roman roads, and close by to Quainton is the A41, and a bit further east is the A5, both are Roman roads.

It's a fallacy that people didn't travel very far from 'home' in those days, so your hunt mat take you further than expected.

You need to start somewhere, and Bucks is a good start.  The transcribed parish registers, will give more a bit information than the IGI ever will, and original records/films should be checked by your self, wherever possible.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline Shogmoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 April 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. I have done a search of all Henry Nib, Nibb, Nibbs, Knib, Knibb along with the same for Jonas with no luck. I did try the Bucks family history society but again with no luck. Then about 8 years ago I wrote to 'Family Tree' magazine for ideas and had the letter published with all their thoughts. Still I have got no where. Maybe I am at the end of the road with this one.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 April 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
By checking my OxFHS marriage index 1538-1837, there are over a 100 marriages for male KNIBBS, Knib, Knibbe,  and about 13 for male Nibbs, Nibs.

There's also about 60 or 70 female Knibbs marriages, and I haven't checked for other variations.

There is one for a Henry Knibb(widower), to Rebecca Smith, 6 March 1764 @ Chipping Norton.

Also a marriage for Henry Knibb to Mary Honnour, 28 Sept 1735 @ Bicester. (Both of the parish).

There is a baptism for Mary Honor, 1714 @ Bicester, but not Henry Knibb/Nibb. 

Although there are 3 other Nibbe baptisms in the early to mid 17th century

As you may, or may not know, Bicester is only a few miles from Quainton, and Chipping Norton is about 15 miles from Bicester, as the crow flies.

So don't give up yet, there's plenty more to research.   If BucksFHS have come up with nothing, then ask OxFHS for a search.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 April 16 15:06 BST (UK) »
There is also a Mary Knibb in Quainton born c1750 who married Richard Chapman in Quainton in 1775.  I've no idea where she originated as am looking at that Chapman family, they originally moved to Buckinghamshire from the Towcester/Whittlebury area of Northamptonshire.

Quick look on ancestry doesn't show neither Henry, Jonas or Mary in Northants, albeit there are some gaps in the coverage on there.

Oxfordshire PRs are due on Ancestry at some point, heard rumours may be sometime this year. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Shogmoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 17:57 BST (UK) »
Mary, who married Richard Chapman was Henrys daughter.