Author Topic: Missing Doubles with a Jamaican connection.  (Read 448 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Doubles with a Jamaican connection.
« on: Monday 04 April 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
My 5x Gt Uncle and Aunt (Thomas Double and his wife Mary nee Grimwade) appear to have lived in Kingston, Jamaica some time around 1782 as this was the date of the last correspondence the family had received before 1790, when Mary's brother took out an appeal in the newspaper asking for her to contact about her inheritance. Mary was born in Bramford, Suffolk, in 1748. Thomas was born in Hawsted, Suffolk, 1744. They married in Norton, Suffolk, 4 May 1768. Did they die in Jamaica or move somewhere else? Any info about their movements or reason for being in Jamaica would be most helpful.
N.B.  I have posted this on 'Other Countries' as well.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Doubles with a Jamaican connection.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
I'm now wondering if they got killed in the hurricanes of the 1780s. Certainly several thousands of people were lost on the island with the actual winds and the tidal surges. The timing of the 1780 hurricane was particularly devastating to the region. With the advent of the American Revolution, the West Indies lost a major trading partner. Five hurricanes in seven years wreaked havoc on Jamaica’s locally grown food, but it was the barriers to trade with the upstart Americans that played havoc with her main source of supplies. While thousands died during the storms, many others died in the aftermath—not only from disease, but from the scarcity of food and clean water.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire