Author Topic: Frederick William Poore  (Read 4978 times)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick William Poore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
Do these type of stories make the papers these days - surely not!
Thanks for finding all these.  I guess we have 3 years to wait before being able to see any records.  Where online do you see these anyway?
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 April 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
Here is the link to the NZ archives website

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/CallItemAdvancedSearch.do

I can't see a restricted divorce file,the files cannot be viewed online usually you need to start a new thread with a request for someone to go and take photos of the file for you,the files are in 4 different cities.

Cheers Janette

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 April 16 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi zumaro

I'm not sure why it has been suggested that you start a new thread seeking a look-up of this Divorce file ???   

The POORE Divorce file as you are aware, is still under the 100 year restriction - with access to same not being available until at least the end of 2019.   
It is a usual courtesy to provide a potential volunteer with the Archives file reference number (in this case it is not available on Archway website - you'd need to request this from Archives New Zealand, Wellington office).   But even armed with the ref. number, access to the file may still be denied (to) the volunteer (because of the restriction which is in place.)

My recommendation is that you contact Archives New Zealand (Wellington) - firstly to obtain the POORE Divorce reference number, and,  secondly to learn what process you should follow to obtain access to the file ahead of the restriction being lifted.   ;)   
It used to be that it was necessary to seek an approval letter from a local Court for presentation to Archives NZ before the file could be released.   If, (as you're overseas), you plan to have a researcher or local volunteer access the file on your behalf, then it may be necessary to make this known to Archives NZ.
[I've had previous experience with this type of thing - it's a "painless" process  ;) - and Archives staff are most accommodating and helpful.]

Here is a little reading for your interest from the Archives NZ Research Guide on Personal Identity - scroll down to the section headed "Divorce".

http://archives.govt.nz/research/guides/personal-identity

And, to make an enquiry to Archives NZ

http://archives.govt.nz/visit/contact

Good luck.

~  Lu

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 April 16 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi zumaro

I'm not sure why it has been suggested that you start a new thread seeking a look-up of this Divorce file ???   

Hi Lu,I was explaining to zumaro how we normally go about obtaining files from archives, I was NOT telling her to request the divorce file as I had said I couldn't see it ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Janette

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 April 16 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks both Janette and Lucy2 - everyone has been so helpful here, and not only do I have new information, but I also have new resources and techniques to go on with. 

I will look over the information and start the proceedings to find the number, although it may be fruitless until 2019.  I may be back in NZ in December, so there is a possibility of following this up then if I can get things arranged. Otherwise the help of a volunteer would be amazing. 

Again thanks - maybe one day we will know what happened to Frank Poore. If its any use, at the start of this ancestry odyssey I knew nothing about him or his family - I certainly have a very good overview of the family now, and I am now beginning to get a sense of him as well. And I have learnt many details about the events of that time...

Offline gee and dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 April 16 13:05 BST (UK) »
hi there, this is so weird, as we've had a photo in the family for about 50 years. It has names written on the back of "Edie, Frank, Mabel and Fred, taken 1911 451 Hereford street" - we have no clues as to why it was kept by our family, who are gone now. We've only just googled the address of 451 Hereford street in 1911, and stumbled across your thread.

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 April 16 14:54 BST (UK) »
Edie will be Edith May Poore, Mabel will be her sister Mabel Gertrude Poore. The men are a little ambiguous - my great grandfather was known as Frank Poore, but he was born Frederick William, and there is his brother Sydney Francis and father Henry Francis. So they could be any of these people I guess. The Avon electoral roll for 1911 has all these people living close to each other, except for Frank Poore (missing as ever). I think father was known as Henry rather than Frank.

How old does everyone appear? If one is a child it could be Frank's son Henry Francis, but he was known as Harry. It seems that he stayed with his grandparents in that house after the breakup of the marriage in 1911.

Offline gee and dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 April 16 05:34 BST (UK) »
The photo was among some old postcards our parents had. They died many years ago now, so I cant explain why they had the photo. I cant recall ever hearing the name Poore either sorry, so not much help. I got your PM too thanks, but for some reason I cant reply to it. Let me know if you get the attachments.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 April 16 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you post one more time, with just a hi or a smiley face.   New members need at least three posts, before you are allowed to use the PM facility then you can exchange email addresses or private chats.

Cheers
KHP

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk