Author Topic: Swindon Parish Church 17th century  (Read 1855 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Swindon Parish Church 17th century
« on: Monday 04 April 16 21:55 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what the name of the parish church in Swindon was during the 17th century? I am confused because some 17th century christenings I have found on familysearch and Ancestry give the parish church name as Christ Church. However various other sources say that it was Holy Rood at this time and that Christ Church was built in the 1800s to replace the ruins of Holy Rood.

I'm puzzled.

Matt

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Swindon Parish Church 17th century
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
GenUKI calls the church:

Christ Church (formerly Holy Rood with St Mary)

Wiltshire OPC reports:
The remains of the original parish church, Holy Rood, can still be seen today.  Christchurch, replaced Holy Rood in 1851.

And from British-History.ac.uk:
Until 1845 Swindon had only one parish church, namely, the church of Holy Rood, lying in the middle of what was to be called the old town. By 1845 another church was needed for the new G.W.R. housing estate situated over a mile from the parish church. That year, therefore, St. Mark's church was built and in the next the district chapelry of Swindon New Town was created out of the ancient parish of Swindon. The chapelry covered the northern part of Swindon, which in 1846 was but little built over. Even before the arrival of the railway the ancient parish church was proving to be too small for the town's population and furthermore was structurally unsound. In 1851, therefore, Christ Church, Cricklade Street, was built and the church of Holy Rood was closed and dismantled.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 16 23:12 BST (UK) »
GenUKI calls the church:

Christ Church (formerly Holy Rood with St Mary)

Wiltshire OPC reports:
The remains of the original parish church, Holy Rood, can still be seen today.  Christchurch, replaced Holy Rood in 1851.

And from British-History.ac.uk:
Until 1845 Swindon had only one parish church, namely, the church of Holy Rood, lying in the middle of what was to be called the old town. By 1845 another church was needed for the new G.W.R. housing estate situated over a mile from the parish church. That year, therefore, St. Mark's church was built and in the next the district chapelry of Swindon New Town was created out of the ancient parish of Swindon. The chapelry covered the northern part of Swindon, which in 1846 was but little built over. Even before the arrival of the railway the ancient parish church was proving to be too small for the town's population and furthermore was structurally unsound. In 1851, therefore, Christ Church, Cricklade Street, was built and the church of Holy Rood was closed and dismantled.

Hi thanks for that. I guess then that the christenings I am researching in the 17th century would have happened in Holy Rood. Therefore I guess that's what I should put on my family tree.

Does that make sense even though the filmed copies of the Christ Church parish registers at the FHC in London seem to start in the 16th century?

Many thanks again

Matthew

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 16 23:39 BST (UK) »
That sounds about right.

Probably LDS have confused the 2 names?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 00:02 BST (UK) »
The same has happened else where, in London & Middlesex the LDS transcriptions confuse St Pancras Old with St Pancras New and the parish church of Paddington is now St James Sussex Gardens but was St Mary's on the Green.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 00:45 BST (UK) »
That sounds about right.

Probably LDS have confused the 2 names?

Many thanks :)

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 07:57 BST (UK) »
The heading should read; Christchurch, formerly Holy Rood.

[ http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/ac3c31ef-51cb-4777-887b-679d69e78291]

Duncan & Mandy's website; http://www.oodwooc.co.uk/ph_sw_hrot_gA.htm
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 14:49 BST (UK) »

[ http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/ac3c31ef-51cb-4777-887b-679d69e78291]

Which heading on what resource are you referring to?

On my tree I need to record the name of the church as it was at the time of the event. In which case I guess I should put Holy Rood there. In my list of parish registers and general resource notes I can then include a note to the effect of 'Christchurch, formerly Holy Rood'

Matt

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 15:04 BST (UK) »

Which heading on what resource are you referring to?

On my tree I need to record the name of the church as it was at the time of the event. In which case I guess I should put Holy Rood there. In my list of parish registers and general resource notes I can then include a note to the effect of 'Christchurch, formerly Holy Rood'

Matt

190 - Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre
    PR/Swindon: Christchurch, formerly Holy Rood, with St. Mary - SWINDON: Christchurch, formerly Holy Rood, with St. Mary
    REGISTERS
Holy Rood was transferred to the new Christchurch and the old buildings were left to decay and demolished in part.
The registers are a continuation. You can call your records Holy Rood if you want, especially if they are before the move.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY