Author Topic: DNA test shows I'm related to Aonghas Óg of Islay died 1330  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA test shows I'm related to Aonghas Óg of Islay died 1330
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 April 16 07:51 BST (UK) »

Apart from anything else, any family tree is subject to that old adage:  'Mummy's baby, Daddy's maybe'.

Sorry but DNA clouds even that assumption check out chimerism and the cases where mummy hasn't been mummy. ;)
Thankfully further research rectified the situation

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 April 16 11:35 BST (UK) »
The Clan Donald DNA Project is one of the biggest in the world & must have nearly 1000 participants by now. Not all branches of the clan were  of Norse stock although their chiefs claim descent from Somerled whose ancestry was Norse. There are 50,000 Macdonalds who claim descent from Somerled but many of Clanranald & Glengarry 's followers have a Y DNA which could be Pictish.

You might get hold of a copy of the excellent,  "The Scots a Genetic Journey" by Alistair Moffat, & James F Wilson, publisher Birlinn 2011. Ultimately though, it's a wise bairn that kens his ain faither!  ;D

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/m/macdonald_genetic.htm

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 April 16 12:43 BST (UK) »

Apart from anything else, any family tree is subject to that old adage:  'Mummy's baby, Daddy's maybe'.

Sorry but DNA clouds even that assumption check out chimerism and the cases where mummy hasn't been mummy. ;)

Cheers
Guy

But grandma and grandpa are still grandma and grandpa if the parent of their grandchild is a chimera.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 April 16 14:05 BST (UK) »

Cheers
Guy

But grandma and grandpa are still grandma and grandpa if the parent of their grandchild is a chimera.

Which is why I wrote "DNA clouds even that assumption" rather than DNA clouds disproves that assumption.

The fact that a person can be born with two different types of DNA within their body makes simple statements of fact more complicated.

In possibly the most well know case of chimerism Lydia Fairchild her case was only proved because a court required a test to be carried out at the time of birth of a subsequent child.

However what would happen if it was a father claiming paternity rights for a child, a court could not test his sperm at the time of conception.

As it happens at least one man (in 2014) has been proven to be the father of a child after being discounted by DNA testing previously.
As with Lydia Fairchild it was proved that he was a genetic chimera and that he could indeed be the father of the child he claimed was his.

As the science of DNA matures more data will be generated which may confirm or may disprove many of the assumptions made during this period of infancy.

Science develops through data testing the predictions laid out by the hypothesis, at this stage in the game the science of DNA is still gathering data to test the predictions.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 01:56 BST (UK) »
My father and husband too Y DNA tests with some interesting results.

Father is a FLETCHER of Glen Orchy from Argyll, Scotland. We immigrated to Canada nearly 50 years ago. My father and another FLETCHER man (who descends from a relative who left Scotland much earlier - late 1700s) have been researching together and both did the Y DNA. Father was pleased that a group of FLETCHERs, on the Isle of Mull, turned out to be indeed related even though they denied it. The surprise was that my father's research partner turned out NOT to be a FLETCHER genetically at all, not even close, not even the same halpogroup. He continues to dig anyway. You have to be ready for those kind of surprises!

My husband is a HARRIS, descended from a great grandfather who came to Canada about 1844 and all his records here simply gave England as his birth place. There are many HARRISes in England!! It took me a good 10 years to formulate a theory that he was the son of a certain couple in Buckinghamshire, England. I was not 100% sure until the 3 best YDNA matches came back showing roots in Buckinghamshire, and in Oxfordshire before that.

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull