Author Topic: STEEPLE in Ruthin around 1700  (Read 659 times)

Offline trimochyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
STEEPLE in Ruthin around 1700
« on: Tuesday 05 April 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for STEEPLE who married John HUGHES (1661-1738) of Ruthin. I can't find anything at all. There are Steeples in Flintshire - Bagilit and Holywell - at roughly this time but not in Denbighshire. The only thing I have to go on is a mention in a letter of some connection with the WYNNE family of Gop in Trelawnyd: an item passed down, possibly a painting, from Steeple to Wynne, but that's as much as I've got.

Offline jillrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: STEEPLE in Ruthin around 1700
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 May 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Trimochyn

If you'd like to take a look at my website I've filled in quite a lot of detail about the STEEPLE family in Clwyd.   Unfortunately a marriage of a John HUGHES to ---- STEEPLE hasn't appeared.  However, you may have seen the burials in Trelawnyd on 28 Jan 1764 of Elizabeth WYNNE sp. of Gop and that of Susanna Maria WYNNE d/o Thomas W. (Gent.)  Also of Thos s/o Thos WYNNE, Esq. (Welchman).  As Thomas is described as a Gentleman I would imagine there will be a Will which might help in your search.

Jill Rose
www.clwydsurnames.org.uk

Offline trimochyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: STEEPLE in Ruthin around 1700
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Jill,

Thank you so much. The surname list is amazing. I'm going to ask a related Wynne/Mathews question over in the Flintshire forum because I think it belongs over there now!