Author Topic: James Kelly 189? 1927  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Kelly 189? 1927
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 April 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
jj

You could always apply for the birth certificate of the Arthur Slattery birth June 1896 and just stipulate mothers name of Ellen Slattery, with no mention of father.   Indeed, if it was an illegitimate birth the father won't be named anyway.  If it's not her, they won't send it and believe they'll simply refund you. 

Worth a shot.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 April 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
If you go down that route you must not use the reference number.

As you make your application online tick the box for  "reference number not known" and then you get the screen to specify further informtion.

If you order with a reference number you don't get that further information option and you'll get that cert whether it is right or wrong.

This service still cost £9.25 but takes about 15 working days. If the mothers name doesn't make you'll get your money back.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 April 16 08:50 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Annette, Dawn.
Guess what my planned job for today is - exactly what you both suggested!
 I'm going to request Ellen's birth certificate too.
Looking closely at the marriage certificate of James & Ellen in Whitwick Register Office, there's just a line under "rank or profession". Maybe she was busy being a mum....
It also looks as if she's 32 & he's 21. It's the right Ellen, though, her dad was already dead & he's "deceased" and we've already established that she was born 1874.
Maybe I could contact Whitwick churches to see if they have Baptism records.
Thank you once again.
jj (080416)

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 April 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
Waiting for birth certificates (impatiently) so checked 1881 & 1891 censuses for more clues.
1881 Slattery at 243 Talbot Street, Kelly at 280 Talbot Street.
1891 Slattery at the same address, Kelly missing.
Ellen & James must have known each other in childhood, probably went to school together.
When Ellen Slattery & James Kelly married in 1897, James was at Brookes Lane & Ellen at Cademan Street, James a miner as was his father, Ellen a shoe stover???
jj

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 April 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
I have just found some baptisms and Arthur!

Whitwick, Holy Cross   Roman Catholic

Slattery   Arthur
Birth 22-May   1896   
Baptism 26-Jul   1896            
Helen   Slattery

Kelly   Catherine
Birth 10-Mar   1898   
Baptism 14-May   1898         
James    Ellen   Slattery

Kelly   Francis
Birth 02-May   1899
Baptism 24-May   1899            
James    Helen   Slattery

Kelly   Thomas
Birth 31-May   1900   
Baptism 27-Jun   1900         
James   Helen   Slattery      

Michael and Emma also baptise their children there

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 April 16 18:08 BST (UK) »
Solved, the mystery of my elusive granddad!
It is impossible for me to thank individually each person who has contributed to finding James Kelly 1896-1927.
If you read this, you know who you are and that I am deeply indebted to you.
The major breakthrough came when Australian Jeff was searching for his wife's grandmother, Catherine Kelly 1898. She was confirmed as the sister of James Kelly in the 1901 census which also revealed the first mention of a place and approximate birth year for James.
James remained elusive. I accepted that he was almost certainly illegitimate, maybe even born to another family member, “adopted” by James Kelly  (1874) & Ellen Slattery as they were getting married and then known as James Kelly.
Baby Arthur was born to Ellen Slattery, May 22 1896 and Willsy found his baptism record in Holy Cross RC church, Whitwick, 26 July 1896. She also found baptism records for James & Ellen's  other children, Catherine, born in Mexborough, Francis who I assume died as I have no knowledge of this baby, and Thomas.
The evidence is compelling, the only caveat being the spelling of Ellen's name. In all the records I have found, she is Ellen but in 3 of her children's baptism records she is Helen, all other details correspond.
I am unclear about RC baptisms but John Kelly & Ellen Wall were born in County Mayo in 1839 & 1841, marrying in Staffordshire 20 years later which may explain that.
I offer my thanks those who thought sideways & found baby Arthur Slattery & to Willsy who found baptism records.
Many, many thanks to all who have made it possible for me on May 22 2016, to be able, for the first time, to celebrate Granddad Kelly's birthday.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 April 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
I have a Hannah who in some of her children's baptisms is Anna (luckily she always includes her unusual middle name) - so Ellen and Helen I'd accept as being the same person, and the vicar sometimes assuming there was a dropped 'h' in her name

Pleased for you that you found him

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 April 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
Like you, Iolaus, I thought the priest had decided Ellen had dropped the "H" in "Helen".
The search is over, the questions answered, just a couple of certificates to arrive.
So many people to thank for their help and all I can is "Thank you."
jj

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 May 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
I had hoped that all questions would be answered with the arrival of Arthur Slattery's birth certificate and that his birth address would be Cademan Street, from where Ellen was married but he was born in the Union Workhouse in Ashby de la Zouch, May 22 1896. I believe admissions/discharges still exist at the Records Office in Wigston which will perhaps confirm the Cademan Street address.
Unfortunately, it's not 100% certain that James Kelly (1875) actually was the father of baby Arthur, but all the information Super Searchers have uncovered for me strongly suggest he was.
I am confident that Arthur Slattery became James Kelly, my short lived grandfather. He survived WWI as a machine gunner only to die age 30 from TB, perhaps a legacy of his patriotism.
Many thanks once again to all who have given freely of time & effort in my search for granddad Kelly.

jj 010516