Author Topic: Burial Locations - Guernsey  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Locations - Guernsey
« on: Thursday 07 April 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
I have a number of relatives who migrated from the English mainland to Guernsey and who died there. I am trying to locate where they are buried on the Island.
Jessie Clarke 1889-1960
Sylvia Booth 1923-1977 (d.14 Jan 1977)
John Swire Booth 1908-1972 (d.Jul 1972)
Any help or advice in locating where they are buried would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Darryl

Offline Judith Keen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Locations - Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Darryl,

Have just seen your message, only a couple of years late! Sylvia and John were my parents and Jessie my grandmother. They are all buried in St Martin’s new cemetery in Guernsey.

I believe you might have been related to my Auntie Kay (Glossop, née Hall).

Please get in contact if you would like any further information.

Kind regards,

Judith Keen (née Booth)

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith
Thanks for the reply.
I've sent a PM

Darryl

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Darryl,

Please keep in mind that new members are unable to access all functions including PM's until they have made a couple of posts, as Judith has only posted just the once she can not reply to you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah
Thanks for the info.
Can Judith read my PM where I can provide an email address or should I continue the thread on here?

Darryl

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
I have already messaged judith to say that if she posts once more she can reply to your PM.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sarah, I'll sit back and wait.

Darryl

Offline Judith Keen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 August 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Darryl!
Sorry to have been so long in replying - how to do it took some working out!
I am so pleased to be able finally to connect up the Nugent and Froggatt families.  Auntie Kay (Glossop) came to Guernsey to live with her mother Nellie Hall in the late 50s I think.  She taught special needs at St. Andrew's Primary School (now closed unfortunately) until her retirement and lived very close to where I grew up in St. Martin’s Parish.  She was a favourite aunt and we saw a lot of her - this continued with my own children until sadly her health declined and she was taken into Summerland House Nursing Home in St. Peter Port with dementia. She had an aunt and uncle, Kitty and Tom, who used to visit from Deal.  There was also a couple (Hudson?) who ran a music shop in ?Huddersfield with a daughter called Katherine I remember.  Also another related family from Sheffield who visited several times too with their daughter ?Sarah.  Sorry to be so imprecise, it seems such a long time ago.
My mother Sylvia Clarke was born on August 10th 1923 and died in January 1977.  She came to live in Guernsey in 1950 after marrying my father, John Booth at St. John’s Church, Ranmoor, Sheffield in 1949.
Her sister Margaret came to the island with her husband Harry Wragg and young daughter Josephine after the war.
I am not sure when my grandmother Jessie Clarke (née Froggatt) came over to live, but I know she was with us when I was very young.  Her husband (Henry) Howard had died leaving her very little money.
I have done some research on the family tree and had Mary Mason married to optician Thomas F. Froggatt (1854 - 1920), their son Thomas (b.1911) being an electroplated and silversmith manager).
I have a record of Thomas Froggatt’s grandfather (1777-1853) being an optician in Sheffield, but that is as far as I got.
You probably have found out already that Mary Mason’s father and grandfather were publicans in Sheffield.
If there is any further information I could possibly help with, please let me know.  I could send photos from the 50s and 60s if I can work out how to do it!
Best wishes
Judith

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith
You are correct in much of your research.
The link between the Froggatts and Nugent began with the Masons. Mary Mason married Thomas Froggatt and her sister Jane Mason married my grandfather James Nugent. As you say the Masons were publicans running The Falstaffe Inn and The Locomotive pubs. They also worked in the cutlery industry.
Kay's aunt Kitty and uncle Tom were also my aunt and uncle. Kitty moved from Rotherham to Deal with her husband Charles Milner. Tom remained in Sheffield and lived near my home. Both visited Kay on many occasions. I don't recollect any Hudsons but Charles Milner's family had a musical instrument shop in Sheffield so there may be a link there.
I have tried to locate Howard Clarkes's grave in Sheffield but without success so far.
Thomas Froggatt's grandfather was an optician as were many members of the family. Thomas snr's brother Samuel invented new ways of grinding optical glass and moved to London to make his fortune.
I have PM'd you my email address so that we can exchange photos etc.

Regards
Darryl