Author Topic: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?  (Read 25902 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 April 16 08:50 BST (UK) »

Yes I know what you mean. It's a bit like....that was how it was always going to be.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 April 16 09:00 BST (UK) »
Not really the same spookyness of dates but strange coincidence - Rosball just photographed a probate package for me of my gg grandmother's sister who it turns out lived the last year of her life and died just 2 blocks away from where I grew up. And that same day reading another post here on rootschat to help with a totally random obit, the next obit in the newspaper was for the wife of my g grandmother's brother's boss.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 April 16 10:09 BST (UK) »
When researching dads Smith family we needed to find the maiden name of his great grandmother, she and his g.grandfather had 10 children. With a name like Smith we decided  to get their eldest daughters certificate as she had three given names, having already had six sons (including my g.grandfather) they had gone to town on her names. ;D. When the certificate arrived we found that she was born 3rd October same as dad. That felt spooky at the time.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 April 16 12:08 BST (UK) »
Not a date, but a spooky co-incidence. When I decided I wanted to train as a teacher, I picked a college in Grantham, Lincolnshire, for no other reason than I liked the look of it. I'd never been to Lincolnshire or had any connections with it.

Years later, when I started my family tree, I discovered that my great x3 grandfather was born in Grantham and that his parents and quite a few of his siblings are buried in the church there. I walked through that churchyard almost every day on the way back to my flat. Wish I'd known then.

I then discovered that the same 3x great grandfather died on the 23rd August, which was 110 years before his 5xgreat grandson was born.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 April 16 12:23 BST (UK) »

I'm loving these spooky tales and coincidences  :)

They are all so interesting to read

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 09 April 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
I discovered that my grt grt uncle in 1881 was living in the same close that my parents moved into when they married in 1964.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 April 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
Not a date, but a coincidence that surprised the whole family. My grandmother's family came from a rural village about 50 miles north of where I grew up.  Indeed the whole family knew that is where they had come from for as far back as anyone knew.

It was therefore a bit of a shock to find that my gg grandfather had moved into the village where I grew up, farmed the land that was subsequently farmed by my father 100 years later, had my g grandfather there, then (after the death of my gg grandmother) married a lady from the house I actually lived in before moving "back home".  No one had the faintest idea.......
Plant - Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire
Bothamley, Pateman, Roffe,  - Northamptonshire
Thurlby, Baker, Kilbon - Lincolnshire
Hurry, Bishop - Cambridgeshire
Pretty, Coulson - Rutland
Shaw - Nottinghamshire
De Rippe - Rutland, Middlesex, Carlow

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 09 April 16 23:29 BST (UK) »
Is it Coincidence or Destiny? Who knows?

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 10 April 16 00:31 BST (UK) »
I purchased a CD online from Scotland.  The CD was historical images of people and old housing etc, from the Miners Rows in an Ayrshire Village.

It turned out that in the 1950's, the maker of the CD had lived in the exact same miners row house as a child, that my great grandfather had lived in with his parents when HE was young - in the 1800's!

I keep up a correspondence with this person, he knew a lot of my relatives, I visited Scotland and stayed with him and his wife, he introduced me to a lot of my relatives, and there were many of them - almost every second person he stopped to talk to in the street was related to me, as both my paternal and maternal grandparents were born there.  (He knew them all, it's such a small place)

I had said to him, that the odds were we'd probably be related as well! 

Of course the inevitable happened one day when he stopped to talk to a woman who was his relative, introduced me, to her-  and she was also a relative of mine.

Took a good few years to put the families together, but the stranger that I bought my CD from was indeed related to my family, and now he and his wife are very good friends of mine as well!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections