Author Topic: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?  (Read 25931 times)

Online ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 12:02 BST (UK) »

I'll say  ;D
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 21:57 BST (UK) »
May not be a coincidence but it is still a hair raising moment. It is estimated that there are about 15 dead people for every person living. That I can believe, the dead outnumber the living many times over. So that is a lot of people to research for our hobby of genealogy, family history.

That's very interesting, Coombs. Given the increasing population, at some point surely the numbers are going to almost balance out.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 00:03 BST (UK) »
May not be a coincidence but it is still a hair raising moment. It is estimated that there are about 15 dead people for every person living. That I can believe, the dead outnumber the living many times over. So that is a lot of people to research for our hobby of genealogy, family history.

That's very interesting, Coombs. Given the increasing population, at some point surely the numbers are going to almost balance out.

Would take a while surely. Although there are more people than have been alive at any one time there are multiple generations of dead people.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 00:08 BST (UK) »
The numbers will never balance out.

As every person has two parents, and the parents have two parents making four grand-parents etc, etc , if we go back just 40 generations (at 25 years a generation that's just 1000 years) and assume no cousins marry each other you have 549,755,813,888 direct ancestors.

Apart from Adam & Eve, there will always be more people dead than alive.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 04:15 BST (UK) »
The numbers will never balance out.

As every person has two parents, and the parents have two parents making four grand-parents etc, etc , if we go back just 40 generations (at 25 years a generation that's just 1000 years) and assume no cousins marry each other you have 549,755,813,888 direct ancestors.

Apart from Adam & Eve, there will always be more people dead than alive.

and there are people complaining about overpopulation  :P :P :P

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 05:00 BST (UK) »
Claire.... I've been reading back over this thread and nearly fell off my chair when you mentioned 'Pinky and Perky'!!! We have this LP record, I think it was my Uncle's (He's a young Uncle and not THAT much older than me, lol).  I haven't thought about it for years.

Back to the topic....  2 years ago on a trip to the UK we were driving from Liverpool to London, a big day!  Various stops along the way, Stonehenge, etc, and of course a couple of cemetery's.  It was getting late in the day, about 8pm when we reached Lydiard Tregoze, Wilts and do you think we could find St. Mary's... nope.  We were just about to give up when I finally saw the sign.  We reached the church near Lydiard Park and of course, the church yard was locked!  Oh well we could kind of see two of the headstone's we were looking for through the gates.  A shame but good enough we thought.  After loitering around for a while a lady came over and started chatting to us.  We told her we were from Australia and just passing though and that my x5 great grandparents and many more grandparents before that were buried here and pointed to the headstone.  Well that lady was the Vicar's wife picking up her kids from Scout's.... She unlocked the padlock and in we went...
Just in the right place at the right time!

Bitzar,
Melbourne.

ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Online ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi bitzar

Well they say the Lord moves in mysterious ways. That's a lovely story  :)

As for Pinky and Perky, I nearly fell off my chair when I read your post. That is a coincidence ;D
The words really meant a lot to me when it 'popped in my head' that day.

claire
Blackpool ;)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
Regarding the population question, yes it will take quite some time, and I did say "almost". Factor in longevity as well as the growing population, and it is not such a simple question, I believe.
Here's an interesting site: http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 10:36 BST (UK) »

Now that is a good site,

That's quite spooky watching those figures changing every second, giving me goosebumps :)