Author Topic: Help needed re Swedish Ancestors Charles Oscar Sundernan  (Read 1653 times)

Offline dairydairy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed re Swedish Ancestors Charles Oscar Sundernan
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 16 06:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Ian. Really helpful. I have passed all of this on to my friend and she is so grateful. Her only regret is that her mother, who had done so much work on her tree, is not around to hear all this new information. My friend and her sisters now plan to visit Saltvik and, with the most recent details from the registers, can even look for Ofvanaker. You have been brilliant - thank you again.
Catherine

Offline Suzie Bryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

I have just been doing a bit of research on my ancestors, and googled why my great grandfathers place of birth might say Fuidland brit subject with Russia in the margin on the 1901 census as I thought he was Swedish. His name was Charles Sandeman.....so lo and behold I think I may have the same great grandfather as your friend. My grandmother was Christina who married Charles (previously Cesare as he was Italian) .

I know that generally we are more related than we think, and so maybe it is not that surprising, but if your friend were interested in sharing any information, or just having an email conversation or something, let me know!

Suzie

Offline Suzie Bryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 May 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Reading my dad's memoirs (he is still alive but decided to try and write about his early life) he talks about his Cousin Christine, and playing piano with her. He also talks of her marriage to John "Jay" Taylor and how he inspired him to study physics and maths (he worked as a university lecturer in Cambridge so it stood him well!). I understand that your friends mother died which is sad as I'm sure my Dad (Ron) would have loved to have made contact again. If she did think that it was the same person it would be lovely to tell Dad of how Christine's family had fared, so feel free to respond and maybe we could have a conversation. Obviously I may have got the wrong end of the stick as to who everyone is but you never know!

regards
Suzie

Offline babs 195o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
hi my grandad was Charles Oscar sandeman his father was born in Sweden Oscar Theodore my dad is Lesley david, one on five children his mother,my nona, was crimane(I don't think this is correct spelling ) maria josafina Ferrari her parents came from Italy in 1890 their home was Roggio in Tuscany, beautiful!! Cesare was Nonas  father( I think) we do have and Italian family tree, and contact with the Italian branch of family most, are in uk, but are a bit thin on the Scottish /Swedish side, my dad thinks that his fathers family being seafarers from Scotland went to Sweden or Denmark eventually ending up in the east end where he was born, his father, my grandad worked on the docks (east india )i believe but I can check this out as Dad is still with us. hope this is helpful  Barbara

Offline babs 195o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
Further to my previous message my grandfathers family came from the oland island in Sweden looks like we are related, also just as an aside my dad taught chemistry and physics, ( after he got too tired to do PE!!) and grandad was great von piano as was uncle Reg, Dads other brother Len went to Canada, married a Canadian girl and was an artist out there, sadly died, earlier this year, he has three children there David Lesley and Geof, his other brother Cyril was a radio operator during the was and was lost at sea , Aunty Iris, his sister, was also a teacher, Dad is only one of siblings living and he is 95, he stays with me at weekends so I will show him this if he has any more info I will forward it. by the way there are three of us, me ,Mary and Anthony also my cousin Lesley, whos is Iris's daughter and Peter, Regs son. I imagine we must be related !Barbara