Author Topic: Campbell and McCullough  (Read 808 times)

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Campbell and McCullough
« on: Friday 08 April 16 22:02 BST (UK) »
My 2x great grandfather Robert Campbell was born in Aghaderg, Dromore, County Down in 1850. I have found his baptism record for 5th June 1850. His parents on this record are Daniel Campbell and Hellen/Ellen McCullagh. Try as I might covering every area in Ireland I cannot find a marriage for Roberts Parents. They had another son previous to that in 1845 Jacum Campbell but he was baptised in Farsnagh, Ardboe, Armagh, Londonderry, Tyrone. I am sure there were more children I just can't find them. Can anyone help me and point me in the right direction? Robert went to Scotland. He married in 1871 in Glasgow. I don't know if his parents took him there as a young child or he went alone.
FIFE NAMES:BELL, BEVERIDGE, MCNEILL, HENDERSON, HYND, MITCHEL, WEBSTER.
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.
ANGUS: BEAN, COWIE, GOWANS, MYLES, SKIRLING

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell and McCullough
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of non-Catholic marriages started in 1845. If there was a son born c1845 it's likely the parents married before 1845 and the only place you will find a record is in church register (if it survives).

It's more likely that Robert Campbell's mother was called Ellen- in Scotland Helen is the form in more common usage.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 16 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your swift reply. These Campbell's were Catholics, I should have said that the records came from the record set Ireland Roman Catholic Parish Baptism Records. On the first sons baptism the mother is Helen but on Roberts she is down as Ellen. I have also tried to find out when Robert went to Scotland, whether he went as a baby, small child or young man. Would there be records to show a record of the boat/ship they left Ireland on? So far I've hit a brick wall.
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
If the church registers where you've found the baptisms include marriages for an earlier period then the marriage could have taken place elsewhere- remember that marriages usually take place in the bride's church.

Ireland was part of the U.K. so no records were kept of people travelling between Ireland and Scotland, Wales and England.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 16 01:57 BST (UK) »
RootsIreland has a possibility for a marriage in Tyrone in the right timeframe, albeit that her name is recorded as Eleanora McCullough. 

In posting the following Newry RC baptism, it comes with the reservation that the names are hardly unique and given the moving about, there is just a possibility that there could well be 2 (or more) Daniel Campbell & Ellen McCullough couples.

Baptised 7 November 1847, Ellen of Daniel Campbell and Ellen McCullogh, sponsors Patrick and Ann Dornan (right page, 8th entry up from bottom):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633289#page/29/mode/1up

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your help on trying to trace this couple and their family. I will let you know how I get on.