Author Topic: Scotland Marriage 1832  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Periwinkled

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I HAVE A SCOTLAND MARRIAGE 1832 I NEED HELP TO DECIPHER ~ PLEASE
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:16 BST (UK) »
Which reminds me that there was a similar-sounding small farm in Strathavon, Dailchaoil.  It's one of the furthest farms up the glen, Dalestie is the only one I can think of which is higher other than Inchrory, which has always been a shooting lodge.
There was still a McHardy in Auchriachan until the mid 1980s! 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
Plenty of info. from Mr Go ogle using...McHardy in Auchriachan

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:34 BST (UK) »
Elo Periwinkled

Interesting - he's in one of the graves at Tomintoul - with his dad Donald - so that was another grave I wanted to check out and get photos of - according to Lachlan Shaw the historian we are of the Alistar Kair McIntosh/Shaw line who ended up in Inchrory - but yet to get any connection if we are from the direct line to Glenmore (Donald Shaw) or his dad Donald - its all in the pipeline to check on - Glenmore (Donald Shaw) was born in the 1800's so if we are related it is as off root - but still Inchrory - my grt grandfather x4 William Shaw was born 1753/54 of all his four children (and this now links to the next post from Rosinish my grt grandfather x3 is Alexander Shaw son to William) . . .

The four children of William all called their 1st son Donald - so it is from this I am presuming William Shaw born 1753/54 father is called Donald . . .

So to be related to Donald Shaw father to Glenmore (Donald Shaw) I would have to go further back . . . 

I know there was a lot of movement of the Shaw's - so pinpointing them is an open door as to who is who . . .

What does interest me - one of Alexander's my grt grandfather x3 sons also called Alexander Shaw himself seems to still be at Delachule as it is called now in 1915 - but the actual stone farm got burnt down and they were given a bit of land right across from Delachule where they put up a portacabin to live in with a view of rebuilding the farm - but it never happened - this also just a couple of years also burnt out like Delachule has a curse . . .

What I wanted to know is just when the original stone farm of Delachule burnt down - why did it happen and was anyone killed in the fire - after all those were my folks . . .

I also wonder why Glenmore (Donald Shaw) and his father were buried at Tomintoul if they were from Inchrory according to the book Glenmore (Donald Shaw) moved to a place just up from  Aviemore . . .

All makes for interesting stuff . . .

Cheers . . .

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:35 BST (UK) »
Which reminds me that there was a similar-sounding small farm in Strathavon, Dailchaoil.  It's one of the furthest farms up the glen, Dalestie is the only one I can think of which is higher other than Inchrory, which has always been a shooting lodge.

Wow . . .

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:36 BST (UK) »
Plenty of info. from Mr Go ogle using...McHardy in Auchriachan

Annie

Thanks Annie i will try that out . . .  :)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:43 BST (UK) »

My Grt grandmother x4 Euphemia Grant who was married to my William Shaw died there - then after a female McGregor - we are also related to the McGregors of Guilrigg (which brings in the Gregor "Willox" McGregor) and the Grants of Findon Farm where Euphemia Grant was before she married but I have yet to find her birth or father . . .

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:48 BST (UK) »
There is no reason why the Duke of Gordon should not have been there. I don't know the area ( apart from the fact that it is in the Highlands of Scotland ) but it is just possible that they were married on a Sunday when the whole parish would have been attending Mass the local Duke included !.
However - I see that there was a Presbyterian minister as well as a Catholic priest at the service so that may tell quite a different story. It would be interesting to follow this one up.  Isn't family history exciting?

Orkrad.

I checked the date it wasn't a Sunday - it was I think a Tuesday or Wednesday - but being Catholics maybe he attended church every day - other that I heard from my grt grandfather he often came to Delachule so no idea there . . .  ;)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
Using the quotes, google..
"Dellachoul Shaw, Donald S, Milton Smith, Geo"
which is banffshire year book 1898

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Periwinkled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Elo Periwinkled

I also wonder why Glenmore (Donald Shaw) and his father were buried at Tomintoul if they were from Inchrory according to the book Glenmore (Donald Shaw) moved to a place just up from  Aviemore . . .

Inchrory would have been consisdered as in the parish of Kirkmichael as it is on the banks of the Avon.  Glenmore is just over the mountains from Inchrory, 12 miles or so as the eagle flies and they would have both been very remote in the mid 19th Century. If I was a Shaw of Inchrory I wouldn't want to be buried too far from the Avon and the rest of my kin. 

Interesting that you had people in Gaulrig, my 3x g grandmother was living there before marrying but she was a Cameron not a McGregor.  I haven't investigated the Camerons who came before her yet.
 I'll ask mum or my uncle if they remember the original Delachule burning down, but it probably happened after they left the village, so they won't remember unless someone was badly hurt.