Author Topic: Scotland Marriage 1832  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I HAVE A SCOTLAND MARRIAGE 1832 I NEED HELP TO DECIPHER ~ PLEASE
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 September 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
Elo Periwinkled

I also wonder why Glenmore (Donald Shaw) and his father were buried at Tomintoul if they were from Inchrory according to the book Glenmore (Donald Shaw) moved to a place just up from  Aviemore . . .

Inchrory would have been consisdered as in the parish of Kirkmichael as it is on the banks of the Avon.  Glenmore is just over the mountains from Inchrory, 12 miles or so as the eagle flies and they would have both been very remote in the mid 19th Century. If I was a Shaw of Inchrory I wouldn't want to be buried too far from the Avon and the rest of my kin. 

Interesting that you had people in Gaulrig, my 3x g grandmother was living there before marrying but she was a Cameron not a McGregor.  I haven't investigated the Camerons who came before her yet.
 I'll ask mum or my uncle if they remember the original Delachule burning down, but it probably happened after they left the village, so they won't remember unless someone was badly hurt.

Well - Periwinkled, putting it that way I could not be happier if no one can remember the fire - if it meant everyone was ok . . .  :)

Camerons - in 1795 my grt grandfather x4 William Shaw 1st son Donald was born at Dalynlion just across the river from Delachule - no relation here but one of the sponsors was a Lilly Cameron . . .

Note just above the birth of Donald at Dalnlyon in 1795 the Stuart living in Delachule prior to our lot moving in some years later . . . 

Also while trying to find my grt grandfather x4 father William Shaw father presumed Donald I came across this in 1763 - a marriage of a Donald Shaw to a Janet Cameron . . .

The reason I have not quite dismissed this Donald Shaw as my grt grandfathers x4 father is I could not find any births from this marriage after 1763 and wondered if it could actually be a 2nd marriage - but as my grt grandfather x4 William Shaw presumed father Donald Shaw was born in 1753/54 the case is open on that one . . .

Cheers . . .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 September 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Indiana 59, re your reply #12 about Protestant clergy officiating at a marriage of Catholics.
The information you quoted was a reply to a question posed in the 20th century. It's not relevant to a marriage which happened in the 19th century in Britain.
The official stance of Catholic Church regarding marriage of Catholics has changed several times during the past 500 years depending on era and country concerned.

Catholicism was an outlawed religion in Britain after the Reformation in 16th century until late 18th when concessions began. The Catholic Church recognised as valid marriages of Catholics which were conducted according to the civil law in the country in which they lived. Civil law relating to marriage in the 4 countries which constituted the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland varied in the 19th century and altered at different times.
It was in 1909 that the Catholic Church applied the Canon Law on marriage worldwide, requiring a Catholic to marry in the presence of a Catholic priest. R.C. marriage rules were modified in 1980s.

I'm not familiar with marriage customs of Catholics living in Scotland during 19thC because I don't know where my Scottish Catholic ancestors came from. My English Catholic ancestors who married between 1754 and 1837 generally had 2 wedding ceremonies. Only the marriage at the Anglican parish church was legal. They always had the Catholic ceremony first, usually the previous day. One couple had a gap of 6 weeks between ceremonies.

I hope this explains a complex subject.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 September 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
However I see that there was a Presbyterian minister as well as a Catholic priest  at the service so that may tell quite a different story. It would be interesting to follow this one up.  Isn't family history  exciting?

As I understand it, from reading peoples' transcripts and peering at the image, Rev. Carmichael, the priest conducted the marriage, with the duke and the minister as witnesses. I wonder if this was how they normally did weddings. It would be interesting to see records of other marriages there around same time. Was the minister just keeping himself in favour with the Duke?
Cowban

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:25 BST (UK) »
However I see that there was a Presbyterian minister as well as a Catholic priest  at the service so that may tell quite a different story. It would be interesting to follow this one up.  Isn't family history  exciting?

As I understand it, from reading peoples' transcripts and peering at the image, Rev. Carmichael, the priest conducted the marriage, with the duke and the minister as witnesses. I wonder if this was how they normally did weddings. It would be interesting to see records of other marriages there around the same time. Was the minister just keeping himself in favour with the Duke?

Aha - yes I did a check on the same scale and no this was the only one that came up like this - people will just not accept that the Duke and my grt grandfather x3 were, in fact, great buds . . .  ;)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 September 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
Related thread for anyone interested in this family;

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744158.27

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Periwinkled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
Indiana, Mum said the original Delachule burnt down sometime in the late 50s or 60s but was already abandoned and quite dilapidated. 
When I get round to investigating the Camerons I may well be looking at your entry here again. 

By the by, when my 2xg grandfather was baptised by Donald Carmichael at  ceremony in 1826 (his parents are (Prots) in a Roman Catholic ceremony at the Cults, one of the sponsors was Alexr McKenzie of Dalchule which I think must be the Dalchoille I referred to earlier on in this thread as that is on the Avon.   There is a baptism further down the page of Donald, son of William Shaw Milton of Inverourie, sponsors Alexr and Jane Shaw of Delichule, which must surely be the Delachule you are referring to on the Conglass so these must be your Shaws!  On the parish register of the birth there is a Mary Shaw, wife of Archibald Stuart of Balchruicht, who had a son John.  Also a Euphemia Shaw to Wm Shaw and his spouse Grace Stuart in Milltown of Inverourie.  If these are also your Shaws and you don't have the image I can send to you.

Is it possible that the Duke of Gordon was at your Shaw's wedding because it was a good opportunity to meet many of his tenants?  Tenants whom, incidentally, he was determined not to enfranchise - he bitterly opposed the Great  Reform Bill and only weeks later was one of only 22 peers who opposed it in the House of Lords.  It was passed and the resulting Reform Act gave the vote to any tenant paying at least £10 per annum rent.  Certainly my 3xg grandfather would have qualified as he was paying £14 in 1809.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
Indiana, Mum said the original Delachule burnt down sometime in the late 50s or 60s but was already abandoned and quite dilapidated. 
When I get round to investigating the Camerons I may well be looking at your entry here again. 

By the by, when my 2xg grandfather was baptised by Donald Carmichael at  ceremony in 1826 (his parents are (Prots) in a Roman Catholic ceremony at the Cults, one of the sponsors was Alexr McKenzie of Dalchule which I think must be the Dalchoille I referred to earlier on in this thread as that is on the Avon.   There is a baptism further down the page of Donald, son of William Shaw Milton of Inverourie, sponsors Alexr and Jane Shaw of Delichule, which must surely be the Delachule you are referring to on the Conglass so these must be your Shaws!  On the parish register of the birth there is a Mary Shaw, wife of Archibald Stuart of Balchruicht, who had a son John.  Also a Euphemia Shaw to Wm Shaw and his spouse Grace Stuart in Milltown of Inverourie.  If these are also your Shaws and you don't have the image I can send to you.

Is it possible that the Duke of Gordon was at your Shaw's wedding because it was a good opportunity to meet many of his tenants?  Tenants whom, incidentally, he was determined not to enfranchise - he bitterly opposed the Great  Reform Bill and only weeks later was one of only 22 peers who opposed it in the House of Lords.  It was passed and the resulting Reform Act gave the vote to any tenant paying at least £10 per annum rent.  Certainly my 3xg grandfather would have qualified as he was paying £14 in 1809.

Yus Periwinkled those are my rellies - possible that is Delachule - as there were more families on the land and we are connected to the McKenzies from Braemar - looking at the site map years ago there were more cottages on the land down by the river . . .

Great news on Delachule - that no one was in it - maybe someone just got sick of it laying there in disrepair and burnt it down . . .

The Duke was local with everyone - we have no claim to being special - he was happy to pop into all the farms locally - but my Alexander Shaw did game keeping for him and also attended Glen Mullie just across the river to the right of Delachule - where another Alexander Shaw resided - a retired Military man - who also had a son called William Shaw - no idea what the Duke's wife was like - but he was always happy to be down on the farm with the lads - he he he . . .

Confusing isn't it . . .

In regard of swapping certs - I will contact you with my e-mail address so you can tell just what surnames that relate to you to see if also I have on any of my lists to pass on . . .

Yes William Shaw was a brother to Alexander and he married a Grace Stuart daughter Euphemia Shaw named after her Grandmother Euphemia Grant . . .

It is all making for interesting stuff here and look forward to hearing more from your side too as everyone was linked one way or another back in the days . . .

And thanks for that bit of information on Delachule - good on your mum - cheers . . .

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 December 20 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you leafed through 'Highland Legends' by Glenmore (Donald Shaw)?  You can get a transcription or scanned PDF online.  Gives some colour to the characters and landscape of Inchrory and Strathavon and has a fascinating list of names and addresses of all the sponsors.

Hello Periwinkled

Donald *Glemore Shaw, from Inchrory, father was James Shaw, Wife Barbara Stuart, and is buried with his parents in Tomintoul, so we are in one way or another related, because at the bottom of the headstone it also says to William Shaw son-in-law, this William Shaw was son of William Shaw and Grace Stuart, brother to Alexander Shaw my greatgrandfather x 3, the witness to Alexander's wedding in 1832 was a Alexander McHardy, who someone on here has mentioned may also be from Inchrory, thus stenghting our family link to the family of Shaw's at Inchory, as to why the his Grace the Duke of Gordon was present at my great Grandfather wedding is still a mystery to me, as when checking on the Duke himself at that time period he was not a Catholic, leading me to believe he may in some way be connected to Isabel McIntoshes family in some way, her parents being Donald McIntosh and Margaret McIntosh . . .

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 26 December 20 07:15 GMT (UK) »

Back again, Periwinkled

I have cut out most of the message to deal only where I stand now, Dec 2020 and greetings for the New Year . . .  :)

Yes, all these connect, the sponsors Alexander and Jane Shaw are William Shaw's brother and sister, Donald was born 1795, William 1797 and Jane 1799, with my Alexander being born 1801, with William Shaw marrying Grace Stuart and residing at Milton of Inverourie, so any images you have on them would be gratefully received, thank you . . .

My quest here is in regard to whatever connection we to Alexander McKenzie now as it is not the first time this name has popped up . . .

I am forever looking to where William Shaw born 1753/54 was born, and no matter how I tried I only come with William Shaw born Gleneye to a Duncan Shaw, who had 3 sons, Donald, William and James, I believe there is another son Alexander Shaw too . . .

Anyway not to drag on . . .

First I have a baptism of a Duncan Shaw in 1722, father Donald Shaw, in Glenluy, in Braemer, Godfather Alexander McKenzie, commomly known as Alstar Bainn, so here I have a first mention of an Alexander McKenzie . . .

Secondly; I have a baptism of a William Shaw 1754, which I think is my William Shaw of Delnalyon, Tomintoul who married Euphemia Grant of Findon, Tomintoul in 1795 and moved into Delachule, I am not sure what is saying on the last line, father Duncan Shaw, mother Janet Downy, but; a Anne McKenzie alias Keir is mentioned . . .

So, that's 2 McKenzi'e up to now, but, on the marriage of Duncan Shaw to Janet Downy in Mickle, Inverey just south of Braemer, there is not alot said, but; further up the page we have a marriage of a Alexander McKenzie and a Janet Symon, and remembering Anne McKenzie here, both alias Keir . . .

So there seems to be a connection of the McKenzie's in Bramer and Tomintoul, leading me to believe this is my great Grandfather William Shaw x 3 parent’s line . . .

But; it doesn't stop there, I am sure when looking for Janet Downy, I think father John Downy, she was born Inverourie, but; being a bit green under the ears I thought this was Inverurie, Aberdeen and thinking what on earth, thats was a a journey and a half to meet your loved one to be, but; could it have been Inverourie as in Milltown of Inverourie, I now have to go through this all over again as I have packed up all my stuff with a view of moving in the New Year, but; it has left me wondering which Inverourie was it . . .

Anyway these images you have could come in handy now to try to bring everything together, strange to be there is a story I have to tell in regard of a William Shaw and Inverourie, I will put it up on rootschat on the *Totally off the topic, ghosts from the past and all . . .  :o

Going back over the last couple of years all of this information would just went over my head, now; it is all starting to fit in, from snippets of information given by yourself and others on here, all of it is now appreciated . . .

Indiana . . .