Author Topic: Zukanckutie  (Read 859 times)

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zukanckutie
« on: Saturday 09 April 16 04:00 BST (UK) »
I have some ancestors that  were Russian Jews.
I have found them on Census Records but I am having trouble finding where they actually came from.
The main one is John Abromavich and various other ways of spelling that.
He was born in 1865 and on different census he is down as being either a german subject, being born poland but russian subject. He was married in West Ham in 1892 and died 1939. He was buried in a special section of unconsecrated ground for Jewish people.
John's wife was Ameilia Zukanckutie. Her place of birth on the census is the same as her husband. She was also known as Ellen.
I have looked on lots of sites but only my own requests come up with the surname Zukanckutie.
Has anyone got an idea how to research these names?
Also the surname of Ameilia may have been mistranscribed, would anyone have any thought on what it could be similar too?
Family legend was that the family were a well to do Russian family and that when the revolution happened they had to flee. As far as I am aware that can't be right as they were already in the uk by that time.
John worked at the gas and coke factory and died as a pauper so if that story was true they didnt hold on their money.
If anyone has any advice or knowledge on these names and how I go about looking for more info I would be eternally grateful

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Zukanckutie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
I know that some Eastern European countries have the endings of the surname changed if it's a woman.  For instance, for Lithuanians:
The surnames of unmarried women are formed by adding the suffixes -aite, -yte, -ute, -te, for example, Katilius - Katiliute, Zujus - Zujute, Varnas - Varnaite, Banys - Banyte.

http://www.thelithuanians.com/names/etymsur.html

Maybe Zukanckutie was really supposed to have one of those endings, but was different when used on men. 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Zukanckutie
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
The family may have been among those expelled to the Pale of Settlement from other areas of Russia,  or attacked in pogroms, and it's not unlikely that they left behind property and personal possessions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Jewish_pogroms_in_the_Russian_Empire

On the marriage certificate, how are their father's names listed? Also, if the marriage took place at a synagogue, there may be additional records available which could help (e.g. with names written in Hebrew, possibly even indicating a location), see http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/jewish-registers-of-birth-marriage-and-deathburial/153/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk