Author Topic: Thomas Dyer 1828 Bromsgrove Worchestershire  (Read 2572 times)

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dyer 1828 Bromsgrove Worchestershire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 April 16 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thomas Underwood marriage 1874 Leicester

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 April 16 16:49 BST (UK) »
Found a marriage for Thomas Dyer March q. 1848 Aston Warwickshire.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 April 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Found a marriage for Thomas Dyer March q. 1848 Aston Warwickshire.

Your Thomas is single on 1851 census????

There is another Thomas Dyer of similar age married to Ann

You really need the Thomas Dyer Eliza Underwood marriage cert to confirm fathers and if they had been married previously

It seems to me that Eliza was single -as what seems to be her is on 1841 census with her parents (and she named some of her children after her siblings

Just wonder why they took so long to marry -they were together before they married - but don't know how many of the children would be Thomas Dyers

Suz

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 April 16 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help,Suz.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 April 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
I'll check for more, but this seems to provide at least some of the answers:

26 April 1856 - Leicester Chronicle
Wm. Hands (a married man), charged by Eliza Underwood with non-payment of bastardy allowance, was ordered to pay the same and the expenses.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 April 16 18:18 BST (UK) »
It looks like Henry was born as William Henry Hands Underwood, birth registered in 1848.

If William Hands was paying bastardy allowance, presumably this would have ended when the child turned 16 in 1864, the same year Eliza and Thomas married.  This suggests to me they deliberately didn't marry in order to keep the payments from William Hands.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
Wow,thank you so much!! You are all so brilliant in what you do,it is much appreciated.What would we do without you. I have learnt an awful lot since I have been corresponding with Rootschat and you all do it for free. Amazing!!
 Thanks again
Maggie

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 April 16 08:55 BST (UK) »
Good morning Jomot,
How do I access newspapers,please? Do I have to buy anything...cd etc? It would be extremely useful for my research as I have families in Leicester,Nottingham and Lincolnshire.
Thank you
Maggie

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 April 16 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie

The British Newspaper Archive quite often do offers of £1 for one month, or of you have FindMyPast newspapers are included in the subscription price.  They quite often do great deals on subscriptions too, including £1 for a month.  Offers are often posted on the boards here, so keep a look out.

Alternatively your library may allow you to access 19th Century Newspapers from home using your library card, but many councils (mine included) haven't renewed their subscription due to cost cutting so you'd need to check with them first. 

Failing all of the above you should be able to get free access to FindMyPast and/or BNA if you are able to visit your library in person.