Author Topic: Apprentice Ages?  (Read 558 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Apprentice Ages?
« on: Sunday 10 April 16 02:49 BST (UK) »
For a young male apprenticed to a Coachmaker in Tottenham Court Rd., St. Pancras, London in 1772, what would his approximate age be?

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice Ages?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 16 04:59 BST (UK) »
 Until 1778, a child was normally apprenticed until they reached the age of 24. I undertook a study into parish apprenticeships a few years ago, and found children as young as 9 being apprenticed.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
Have you a name

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
I have this data from the London Apprenticeship Abstracts 1442-1850:

"William Bingley, son of William, Sandal Magna, Yorkshire, Gentleman, to Thomas Broadhead (Tottenham Court Road, St. Pancras, Middlesex) 23 July 1772, Coachmaker's and Coach Harness Maker's Company."

There were several William Bingleys in London in the late 1700's and early 1800's so trying to locate/find this particular person has been a challenge.

Would I be cautious in saying that the Apprentice William was in the 10 to 15 year age range in 1772? I have been searching for a William Bingley for a long time (see my numerous other posts on the London, Middlesex boards). My 2nd Great Grandfather Charles Bingley was born in London circa 1822 and was a wagon maker upon his arrival here in Canada circa 1843. His father was a William Bingley and family legend has his origins as Yorkshire. The Apprenticeship abstract above seems to be a missing clue, however, the apprentice William could have been born circa 1760 which makes him a bit old to be a father in 1822. Perhaps he was the Grandfather.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
I think that an age range of 10-15 is a good working hypothesis - just bear in mind that he might have been a little younger.  It's unlikely he would have been older.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:02 BST (UK) »
A paid apprenticeship to a master according to the custom of a Livery Company of the City of London is a different matter to a parish apprenticeship.  While there were probably exceptions, the boys apprenticed to the Livery Companies were generally older - mostly around 15.

The ages at apprenticeship of the Freemen in my tree break down as follows*:

Wheelwrights' Company:  One at fourteen, one at fifteen.
Butchers' Company:  One at seventeen.
Coopers' Company:  One at sixteen.
Tallow Chandlers' Company:  One at sixteen.

*Assumes baptisms were fairly close to dates of birth.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 April 16 13:06 BST (UK) »
If apprenticing as a solicitor or attorney, what age would be approximate for a young man to do so? Same range- 15 to 18?

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 April 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
Until 1778, a child was normally apprenticed until they reached the age of 24. I undertook a study into parish apprenticeships a few years ago, and found children as young as 9 being apprenticed.

I've seen them as young as 7 (West Yorkshire Apprentice Records 1627-1894) In other records for the more ordinary "child labour", they are even younger.