Author Topic: William Taylor, Elizabeth Ward. Derbyshire. Staffordshire. Warwickshire.  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Taylor, Elizabeth Ward. Derbyshire. Staffordshire. Warwickshire.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
If its any help.............I have the Melbourne Parish Records......and the marriage of William and Elizabeth 11.10.1835 is interesting in that neither of them has a father entered, whereas in 1835 all entries include Father's name..IF the participants  are from the Parish...so we're actually confirming your information that neither of them were from Melbourne..though of course their children are clearly shown as being baptised melbourne.

Good luck..Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 April 16 22:10 BST (UK) »
Very interesting.  Is there any chance that you could post what is stated in the parish register?  As they say, every little helps!  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline AnneToday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 April 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
Could you also post some detail of the children you say were baptised in Melbourne, please, as all I have is Henry in 1838.  It could answer other questions or mean this is the wrong William and Elizabeth after all.

Anne :)
Mears, Meyers, Perkins, Savage, Sexton-Norfolk.
Hooper, Perkins, Cownley, Dean - Worcestershire
Lock(e), Hayes, Wherrill, Bunce - Wiltshire
Taylor, Nall, Ward, Hazard, Berkeley, Dent - Derbyshire, Flower, Simms - Somerset.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 April 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
I've been to Lichfield.  Remember that I can only view the BT's from the parishes, not the parish registers.

Polesworth -
20 August 1797 - Elizabeth, daughter of William and Ann Ward.
23 June 1799 - Elizabeth, illegitimate daughter of Ann Ward

Melbourne -
11 October 1835 - by Banns.  William Taylor (x) of this parish and Elizabeth Ward (x) otp.  Witnesses:  Thomas Nevill (x) and Mary Dentic ? (x)

There is a gap in the BT's from 1835, so I couldn't check Henry Taylor's baptism - assuming he was baptised.

Stanton by Bridge -
John Taylor - 1831 - no baptism entry for that name, nor at Melbourne
Elizabeth Granger - 1819 - no baptism entry for that name 1817-1820, nor at Melbourne (1819)

Added:  Oops!!!  I looked at Stanton by Dale records  :o :o :-[ :-[  Doh!!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 April 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Was there no status given, BumbleB, for William and Elizabeth marrying in 1835?   That's a crucial fact that's wanted here and would normally be stated at this time.

FreeReg has the marriage of William Taylor and Elizabeth Granger 13/10/1826 Stanton by Bridge, Derbyshire - both are single and of this parish and witnesses were Henry Granger and Sarah Fielding.

Since the latter couple had a son John b.1829 (bp.1831) Stanton by Bridge who appears to be the John with William/Elizabeth Ward in 1841 then William should have been a widower in 1835.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 April 16 16:00 BST (UK) »
No, no status given for either party in that marriage.  As I said, I was only able to look at the BTs and the entry may have been a precis of the actual entry - Derbysderek did intimate that other entries had fuller details at this time, but that was not evident in the BTs.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline AnneToday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 April 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you BumbleB for those details, and the note that Melbourne was registered under Lichfield.  I’ll just hold details until some clarity comes, if ever.  The witnesses don’t ring any bells within the family. I haven’t found a baptism for Henry either.

This is a resume of where I am at the moment, just to bring it all together:

William Taylor and Elizabeth Ward married in 1835 in Melbourne. Age, parentage, condition not yet known.

In 1841 William Taylor was in Selina Street, Melbourne with his wife Elizabeth:
William 30, Derbyshire
Elizabeth 40, no place of birth, but in 1851 was  born - Polesworth, Warwicks.
John Taylor 12, Derbyshire   
Henry Taylor  3 Derbyshire
Elizabeth Granger  20 Derbyshire - so was 10yrs old when John was born. May have been a servant.

There are two Elizabeth Wards in Polesworth within the right time frame. I have failed to find a suitable Elizabeth Grainger in Polesworth.

John Taylor, 12, is entered above Henry Taylor, 3.   Sons/daughters usually go first and then other relatives, followed by visitors, lodgers and servants.   I wonder if this is significant?

William Taylor and Elizabeth Grainger married in 1826 at Stanton by Bridge, bachelor and spinster. No parents or witness named on FreeReg.   John Taylor born to this couple 1829 Stanton by Bridge.   Failed to find the death of either a relevant William or Elizabeth Taylor to explain why John was not with them in 1841.   Ages and condition, if available, may resolve this issue.

In 1841 in Kings Newton, Derby there was the following family:
William Taylor  55, Derbyshire
Elizabeth Taylor 50, Derbyshire
Mary Taylor       13, Derbyshire   could be a grandchild?
Sarah Littleford 18, Derbyshire

William from Selena Street above, had a son John who married Elizabeth Salsbury, their daughter Frances married Joseph Littleford, who is Sarah Littleford’s (above) brother.  But, Sarah could still be a servant or a boarder.

William from Kings Newton could have been a cousin to William from Melbourne, descended from John Taylor and Alice Corbett.  Not yet proven.

Thank you for your continued interest.

Anne :)

Taylor, Nall, Ward, Hazard, Berkeley, Dent - Derbyshire, Flower, Simms - Somerset.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 02:05 BST (UK) »
Anne, you won't get parentage on marriages before Sept.1837 when civil registration began and since then you only get father's names, no mother's.

As I posted, the witnesses to the marriage of William Taylor and Elizabeth Granger 1835 were Henry Granger and Sarah Fielding (shown on Findmypast to which you say you have access).

However, your resume ends with a faux pas - you say that the John Taylor who married Elizabeth Salisbury (in 1837) was the son of William and Elizabeth living at Selina Street, Melbourne.   That can't be so.   In 1841 they have son John Taylor with them but he's only 12!!    The John Taylor who married Elizabeth Salisbury in 1837 was, according to 1851 census, born circa 1816 Melbourne.

There were 3 John's in the period 1810-1820 baptised in Melbourne - 2 were in 1810 which is too early - the other one must be yours:

John Taylor born 2/8/1815 bp.21/6/1834 Melbourne, son of William Taylor and Fanny
also
Jane Taylor born 21/6/1819, bp.20/6/1834      ditto                   ditto

William Taylor married Frances Hazard 13/9/1801 Melbourne - both of that parish and single.

Children:

Thomas bp.276/2/1803 Melbourne, son of William and Frances
William bp.22/5/1808               ditto
James bp.7/6/1812                  ditto
John born 2/8/1815 (but not baptised until 1834)
Jane born 21/6/1819(but not baptised until 1834)
George b.21/7/1823 (but not baptised until 29/11/1835 - one has to wonder why he wasn't baptised with John and Jane the previous year).

1841 - Potter Street, Melbourne, Derbyshire

William Taylor    60      Framework knitter
Frances Taylor    55     
Thomas Taylor 35        Silk Glove m.
James Taylor 25              ditto
George Taylor 15         Ag. Lab.

(Their son John is now married to Elizabeth Salisbury) and in his own home.

1851 - still at same address

William Taylor  69       Framework knitter     born Melbourne
Frances Taylor  69                                          ditto
Thomas Taylor 48       Glove maker                  ditto
James Taylor              Framework knitter          ditto

Fanny is a nickname for 'Frances' - John and Elizabeth's daughter Frances was clearly named after paternal grandmother and if it is she your line connects to then her father John is definitely not the son of any of the William/Elizabeth's that have been mentioned.

John was born 2/8/1815 and was the son of William and Frances (Fanny) Hazard.

Frances is a widow in 1861 and looks like she died in 1863.
William Taylor is such a common name and he must have died between 1851 and 1861 but there were 6 that died in this period for Shardlow Registration District (which covered Melbourne) and Melbourne burials not online so don't know which one is him.

So, William Taylor bc.1781 Melbourne would appear to be the William bp.4/5/1781, son of John and Mary - however there is also a William bp.12/7/1775 Melbourne, son of William and Sarah.   If the former, then Frances Hazard actually older than him - bp.13/10/1777 Melbourne, dau. of Joseph and Sarah.

However, you've got me confused now - is it the John who married Elizabeth Salisbury you are connected to or is it the Henry, son of William Taylor/Elizabeth Ward?  Definitely 2 difference Williams.

Annette

All the baptisms are on familysearch.org.
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnneToday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 09:10 BST (UK) »
Ooops!   Too many Williams!    “William from Selena Street above, had a SON John who married Elizabeth Salsbury,..”  should have read  “William from Selena Street above, had a BROTHER John who married Elizabeth Salsbury,.  William, 1781, was father to both these men.

I have outline info on this family back to the early 1700s, but the extra detail you’ve provided, Annette7, is useful, thank you.  It clarifies and extends a lot of what I’ve had from my family co-researchers.  But, no family connection found with Grainger/Granger.

Yes, William, 1781, is the son of John and Mary according to my records.     Frances may well be 4/5 years older than William.  If the love bug bites, or baby is on its way, what does age matter, to a point I suppose?

My connection is Henry,1838, son of William Taylor,1808 and Elizabeth Ward? – this is where I started the thread to correctly identify her maiden name. He is therefore grandson to William, 1781.

Anne