Author Topic: Sir William Powell marriages to Lady Mary Brydges & Katherine Zouch  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir William Powell marriages to Lady Mary Brydges & Katherine Zouch
« on: Sunday 10 April 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the marriage between Sir William Powell (formerly Hinson) of Pengethley and Lady Mary Brydges (formerly Pearle) of Aconbury and trying to determine whether his daughter Mary Powell was born to Mary or his other wife Katherine Zouch.

A few sources including Wikipedia (which references Burke's Peerage) state that Mary Pearle/Brydges was his first wife but I've found his marriage to Katherine to be in 1649 which was a few years before Mary's first husband Sir John Brydges passed away. Katherine is said to have died in 1660 and Mary Powell is said to have been baptised in 1662 although I haven't found those records either.

I've also read that William and Katherine had a few children before Mary Powell was born and that she is Mary Pearle's child but i can't find any names or records of the other children. Would appreciate any help thanks!x

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sir William Powell marriages to Lady Mary Brydges & Katherine Zouch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 16 13:56 BST (UK) »
I have seen suggestions that burkes peerage has the marriages the wrong way round, and this is repeated in wiki.
An extract from his will dated 1680 leaves a legacy to his wife Mary, and to his only dau. Mary Williams, also a one year old grandson, presumably Mary's child.

Mike

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:43 BST (UK) »
It can be difficult finding records for the upper classes because they moved around.  Have you tried parish registers for Aconbury or Hentland (for Pengethley)?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1660-1690/member/powell-william-1624-80

This link which you may have seen is possibly the most accurate, his first marriage only lasted a couple of years, it seems Mary was his only surviving child, most likely from his marriage to Mary bridges in 1655.

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 16 18:18 BST (UK) »
There is a christening in Sellack in 1663 for a Mary Powell, parents William and Mary, this would make her only 17 when she married a Williams, but it could have been a late christening due to the upheavals of the civil war, but Powell is a very common name in Herefordshire

Mike

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
It can be difficult finding records for the upper classes because they moved around.  Have you tried parish registers for Aconbury or Hentland (for Pengethley)?

I haven't, would they be online?

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 April 16 19:23 BST (UK) »
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1660-1690/member/powell-william-1624-80

This link which you may have seen is possibly the most accurate, his first marriage only lasted a couple of years, it seems Mary was his only surviving child, most likely from his marriage to Mary bridges in 1655.

Mike

Thanks, I'd seen it written in several places as Katherine having died in 1660, although haven't found a record of it.

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 April 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
There is a christening in Sellack in 1663 for a Mary Powell, parents William and Mary, this would make her only 17 when she married a Williams, but it could have been a late christening due to the upheavals of the civil war, but Powell is a very common name in Herefordshire

Mike

That could be her, I've seen it recorded elsewhere online as being 1662, but again not with records or sources.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 April 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3APowell~%20%2Bbatch_number%3AP016781&offset=20

This one might interest you, from Familysearch.
Katherine 1660 father William Powell or Hinson

Mike