Author Topic: Magdaline Moncrieff, william nicol Perth  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Magdaline Moncrieff, william nicol Perth
« on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:39 BST (UK) »
Please help me with a question I seem unable to answer.

Im looking for info on a Magdaline Moncrieff who married a William Nicol. They married in 1783, the marriage was registered in Dron, Perth and Fortviot, first to William Nicol and secondly to William Nickle.

I believe that Magdaline was born 1758 in Abernethy and that she was the dau of Mathew Moncrieff, now, this is where I'm stuck. I've been in contact with people that claim that her mothers name was Ann. Some people say that it was Ann Scott, but I've also found a marriage between a Mathew Moncrieff to an Ann Johnstone which was in Perth 1736 which also fits.

Can anybody help found out if it's Ann Johnstone or Ann Scott? As I'm at a brick wall :(

Molly

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Magdaline Moncrieff, william nicol Perth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
My Williamson side of Abernethy is connected to this family and Magdalene was the daughter of Mathew of Culfargie which is NW of the town of Abernethy.  It took me a long time to find out who Mathew’s wife was and even have his Will doesn’t mention her just his eldest son Alexander.  From there I went to the NAS and pretty much found everything I needed, except the details.  The NAS records are in private hands, Ann Scott was his wife and she died in 1793.

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx select Search enter Culfargie

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 16 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Don and thank you for your reply! :)

I believe that I'm descended from William Nicol and Magdaline Moncrieff via their son John Nicol b 1787 that married Ann Mcdonald in Tibbermore 1807. Are you aware of this couple? I think I'm on the right track.

Also you sound very confident that Ann is in fact Ann Scott :) with a little digging I came across a Mathew Moncrieff who was the son of Alexander Moncrieff + Mary Clark and an Ann Scott who was the Dau of John Scott and Magdaline Moncrieff, is this what you have also? :)
Molly

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
Molly

If you followed my instructions you would see this entry with the NAS.

Extract Discharge by Alexander Moncrieff, now of Culfargie, eldest son of deceased Matthew Moncrieff of Culfargie, to Ann Scott, his mother, Sir James Clerk of Pennycuick [Penicuik] and others, of their intromissions as his curators. Registered in B. of C. and S., 9 Aug 1763

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Ken rothwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 00:43 BST (UK) »
I am also a descendant of William Nicol and Magdaline Moncrieff, via their 5th son Alexander born Nov 1795. He is confirmed as their son in the statutory death registers after his death. However, Magdaline is also listed as marrying two others, one being a Nasmyth (I forget the other). Both of the two marriages took place after the marriage to William, and before William died in 1801. (one was in 1797, and the other in 1799). The "House of Moncrieff" book lists both the 2nd and 3rd marriages, but not the one to William Nicol. Has anyone else run into the extra marriages? If Matthew and Ann are the parents for our Magdaline, then the book takes it quite a ways back. Let me know what all of you think.

Ken in Va