Author Topic: Matthew MOXON marrying Ann  (Read 2340 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Matthew MOXON marrying Ann
« on: Sunday 10 April 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble finding a marriage for my 3x great grandparents Matthew Moxon and Ann.

Matthew Moxon was born abt 1833 in Thorpe Hesley/Kimberworth in Rotherham, and Ann was born between 1827 and 1833 in Thorpe Hesley/Kimberworth in Rotherham (I think).
Their first child Herbert Moxon was born in 1858 in Thorpe Hesley, so I am presuming that they married somewhere in the nearby area in the years before Herbert was born.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew MOXON marrying Ann
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 16 00:12 BST (UK) »
Outside chance he could be the 1855 marriage shown as Matthew Magson but only one female name shown.

EDIT

Looks as though that Matthew married Sarah Bell or Emily Walsh
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 16 02:13 BST (UK) »
I cant find anything either, so you will probably need to obtain a birth certificate for one of the children to find Ann's maiden name.  However, I see he was a miner and lived in Chesterfield for a while, and I did find this:

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 26 February 1859
'Matthew Moxon, collier, and Lucy Hollis, were charged with behaving indecently in the King and Miller yard. The male defendant was fined 6s including costs, and the female, who is a notorious character, was committed to gaol for one month'.  Another newspaper reports them as being there 'for an immoral purpose' and that they were both intoxicated.  No mention of Matthew being married.

Earlier reports of Matthew:

12 March 1853 Matthew Moxon of Thorpe was in the papers for 'exposing his person' whilst drunk in Castle Street. Was otherwise of good character.

27 September 1856 following a mine explosion at the Grange Lane Colliery an inquest was held at the Red Lion, Thorpe Hesley. Matthew Moxon and others went searching for the injured & deceased.  Samuel Smith (20) and Samuel Hodgson (14) were killed. It doesn't explicitly state it but it looks like Matthew found Samuel Hodgson,, who died shortly afterwards.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
I cant find anything either, so you will probably need to obtain a birth certificate for one of the children to find Ann's maiden name.  However, I see he was a miner and lived in Chesterfield for a while, and I did find this:

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 26 February 1859
'Matthew Moxon, collier, and Lucy Hollis, were charged with behaving indecently in the King and Miller yard. The male defendant was fined 6s including costs, and the female, who is a notorious character, was committed to gaol for one month'.  Another newspaper reports them as being there 'for an immoral purpose' and that they were both intoxicated.  No mention of Matthew being married.

Earlier reports of Matthew:

12 March 1853 Matthew Moxon of Thorpe was in the papers for 'exposing his person' whilst drunk in Castle Street. Was otherwise of good character.

27 September 1856 following a mine explosion at the Grange Lane Colliery an inquest was held at the Red Lion, Thorpe Hesley. Matthew Moxon and others went searching for the injured & deceased.  Samuel Smith (20) and Samuel Hodgson (14) were killed. It doesn't explicitly state it but it looks like Matthew found Samuel Hodgson,, who died shortly afterwards.

Thank you so much for your help. I've never heard of any of those stories before but they certainly are interesting! Where did you find these accounts? :)

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 16 22:33 BST (UK) »
They were in the British Newspaper Archive, which comes as part of a findmypast subscription or as a standalone.  Both do regular offers like £1 for a month, so look out for them on here.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline waggy64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I too was looking for the marriage date for Matthew and Ann Senior, and was wandering if you had found it. They were my 2x great grandparents. My great grandmother was their daughter Emily Moxon 1872 - 1954.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I remember seeing a marriage of a Matthew Moxon and Ann Senior, but from that approximate dates I had for their births, they wouldn't have been at marriage age  :-\ I'll have to have another look at it and see if it works out - glad to find another relation!

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
With others listed on page

Marriages Mar 1846   
COATES    Sarah        Goole   
EARL    Mary Ann                Goole   
Moody    George        Goole   
Moxon    Matthew        Goole    23   229   
Ramskill    Robt        Goole   
Senior    Ann                Goole   23    229
Thompson    Mary        Goole   
Watson    William        Goole

It was in Goole, but with ages you stated discounted as thought too young.  Also there is a big gap between birth of Herbert. Also 1851 has Matthew age 18 single at home with family.  Looks like mother remarried.

Waggy, do you have evidence her maiden name was Senior?

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
The only possible marriage which comes up for Matthew Moxon & Ann Senior is this one:

1 1846 Goole v23 p229 Matthew Moxon and Mary Ann Earl, Mary Thompson, Sarah Coates, or Ann Senior.

Matthew MOXON and Sarah COATES married 22 Feb 1846 at Snaith, York and can be found on the census in Thorne , Yorkshire so this doesn't  fit.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk