Author Topic: Alexander Douglas 1864  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Douglas 1864
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 April 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
1920 San Francisco Census
Alexander F Douglas, age 31, born California.  Engine Inspector, S.P.R.R.
Wife Violette.  No children.  Address: Mission Street.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 April 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
1925 SF Directory
The only "A" Douglas is the one previously mentioned, Alex F, 2207 Scott.
The only "A" Douglass is Anna J Douglass.

1923 SF Directory
Alex S Douglas (mentioned previously)
Anna M Douglas
Annette Douglas
Archie L Douglas
Anna J Douglass

1920 SF Directory
Same Alex F Douglas.  Anna Douglass and Arthur Douglass.
No other A Douglas.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 April 16 17:02 BST (UK) »
This is a fantastic site for San Francisco records:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/sfdata.htm
I checked the newspapers for Alex/Alexander, but I don't believe I checked them for Mr. Douglas, Alexander Douglass, etc.
http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc

This site has other California counties:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/alameda/alindex.htm

I've not yet looked for Alexander in other counties.

I will try to come back here tonight.   :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 April 16 19:38 BST (UK) »
It may have already been mentioned, but if he "left" the military (twice) could he have used a name other than his birth name after 1888, to avoid any complications?

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 April 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Yes, that is what has been worrying me. It looks as though he deserted from the English army, and then possibly from the US army, so he might well have been covering his tracks and giving other names, not completing census forms, and so on. I had found the Alex A and Alex F people you looked for, but they are not him, assuming the information is correct. He never used a middle name in any of the records we can verify. He had six siblings, but only one of them had a middle name, so it is likely that he did not have one.

I guess a lot of people named Douglas emigrated to the US in the 19th century, so there will be a lot whose birthplaces were Scotland and Ireland. His was England, but he has siblings born in Belfast, Ireland, and Glasgow, Scotland. So, again, he might have given the wrong information so the British authorities could not find him.

I have had a look at various records on Family Search and Find My Past, with no success, and am at a bit of a loss. The nice librarian has asked to be kept posted! But I shall be embarrassed to say I have found nothing! My only hope is that some descendant of Alexander will try to look for his or her ancestry and find this discussion on RC! But that is not a pro-active strategy. But Alexander might have kept his history from his family as well. I have found that in my researches.

Lisa, you have worked very hard, and I am very grateful. They say even a negative result is something, so thank you for that. I have kept a record of what you have done so I will not repeat it. And the websites you have found look interesting too. If anyone has any inspirations, please post them!

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
Have you tried posting the photograph in the Dating Old Photographs forum, to see if anyone can determine the ages of the people in the photograph?  If they think the older gentleman was older or younger than Alexander, perhaps it wasn't Alexander?  (One would think Joseph knew the older man, though, as he had his hand on his shoulder.)  They may also be able to give an approximation of the ages of the young people.

Was your photograph with any other papers or other family photographs that might shed some clues (I forget if that has been mentioned in your posts), or just included with a lot of photographs (like some of mine have been)  :-[ ?

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 May 16 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Lisa

It seems we both get waylaid by current family issues! We have a six-month old grandson, who is delightful, but his Mum has been unwell, so we have been doing our bit. It is exhausting! Much easier when we were 30!

As to Alexander again. What we know about him is actually in the paperwork: when he was born, his military service in the UK and possibly in the US. None of this is dependent on the photo, which is really just an enticing extra. If the photo isn't him, the paperwork trail for Alexander still goes cold. I will keep an eye on www records because new things crop up, but I still think the best chance is for one of his descendants to begin to search for him and his ancestors, but if that were to happen it would be very lucky.

There were no other papers relating to him, just the family story that he emigrated. When I started this research over 40 years ago my Grandmother gave me some things and told me stories. I think now that she edited what she told me, because I think they must have known he had deserted from the South Lancashire regiment. And I think she told me he went to the USA almost to stop me looking for him. He was gone and that was that. End of story. She was from a military family herself and would maybe have wanted me not to know about him. She didn't anticipate the internet!

Thank you for all your interest in this. At least we have found people to eliminate. And I have been contacted privately by someone who might know another Alexander Douglas, not this one, so that may be a good outcome.

Thanks again, and good luck with your own researches.

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall