Author Topic: John walker, toronto area  (Read 563 times)

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John walker, toronto area
« on: Monday 11 April 16 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, trying to locate any children of above. His parents where James Walker, CPR (Canadian Pacific Railroad?) and Abigail McKinnon nee Robb. Abigail was born in Scotland abt 1885. I know that John was in Canadian Airforce and came to Scotland when my Mum,his cousin, was a child.could have been during WW2.Sure he had 2 children born late 50s - early 60s. Abigail, his Mum, died 1973.coming over to Toronto and would love to meet this branch of family. Don't have much more information. Thanks

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John walker, toronto area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
The 1962 Voters' Lists in Toronto show a Jas. Walker, retired and Abigail Walker living at 461c St. Clarens Avenue, Apt. G. (Electoral District of Davenport).  The 1957 list shows James, C.P.R. (Canadian Pacific Railway).

John James Walker is listed as slightly wounded in the daily listing in the Toronto Star on November 30, 1944 -- Lance Corporal, Reconnaissance Unit -- mother Mrs. Abigail Walker, 461 St. Clarens Avenue, Toronto.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.Reckon John will be in his early 90s if he is still alive.appears to be very hard to get birth details. Is there an obits list online I wonder? Thanks again

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 23:02 BST (UK) »
I've searched the online archives for the Toronto Star and did not find an obit altho' it's a common name. Also, birth records are only available up to about 1913 online and a couple of years later than that through the Ontario Archives.

I did, however, find a marriage for James and Abigail in 1917.  He was 24 years of age, a waiter on a CPR train, born Edinburgh, bachelor, of 147 Lappin Ave., Toronto, son of John Walker and Sarah Bowes, and she is named as Abigail MacKinnon Robb, aged 23, of 355 Margueretta St., born Lanark, Scotland, a munitions worker, daughter of James Robb and Lily Somerville; 18 July 1917.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, well, I never knew Uncle Jim was Scottish too, Walker is a Scottish name but I thought maybe from way back. I notice that they married in 1917 which could put son John even older than i thought. His kids are ages with me and my sister, I know there's only 4 days between me and one of them (1959)thank you very much for all your help.