Author Topic: Help narrowing in on HEDDERMAN/HETHERMAN family 1820-1860 from Kilbeheny Parish  (Read 2686 times)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I would appreciate a bit of help getting a handle on a specific Hedderman/Hetherman family from Kilbeheny Parish Co. Limerick.  I found a few living there in Griffith's and Tithe allotment but no ages in those to help me figure out who might be who.  I am looking for a William Hedderman and wife Mary O'Donnell who would have been married by at least 1829 so born circa 1800+ or-.  They were RC.

Not only is the variants in the spelling of their last name an issue but the time frame I am looking at is also an issue (far less resources) :-\

I have a Michael Hedderman/Hetherman who shows up in the Canadian sources in 1864, his age on the 1871  and 1881 censuses puts his birth in Ireland as circa1839 however the age at death puts his birth at 1829. From a marriage Michael Hedderman's parents were Wm. Hedderman & Mary O'Donnell and he was from Limerick.   Through  sheer luck I think I actually found his 1829 baptism at Ancestry in the Catholic Parish Register!  Extremely hard to read but the translation has him as "Hediaman" - parents William and Mary O'Donnell, residence is Lisnalanniv, Kilbeheny Parish.

I have no idea when Michael arrived in Canada... I cannot find a ships record that 'fits' or find him in 1861 or 1851 census.  So for all I know he was still in Ireland until 1863....I did find in the same small community where Michael settled in Canada, was a Maurice Hetherman whose age on the 1871 census puts his birth in Ireland circa 1826.  I am thinking they might have been brothers ... but I cannot find anything more for Maurice other than his appearance on the 1871 census as being 45 and single.

Digging in the Ireland Catholic Parish registers for Kilbeheny Parish I did not find a Maurice, I found a Mary 1833, Denis 1845 and Johanna 1850 all baptized in Kilbeheny Parish with parents Wm. Hedderman and Mary O'Donnell - but it could be a different couple especially for the 1845-1850 births?  Or Mary was getting very near end of her childbearing years for sure!

Anybody able to locate more information on the couple and their family?
thanks all

WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
From Kilbehenny RC parish records, 7 December 1828, baptised Maurice Hederman of William & Mary ODonnell, then possibly "farmer Lisnalanniv", then Sp (sponsors - can't make out the first sponsor) and Catherine Kelly (left page, 4th entry down):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632732#page/15/mode/1up

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Fabulous eye gaffy - these registers are so hard to read!
Wonderful catch, so Maurice was a brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Sometimes it all fits but you just need PROOF instead of conjecture...

Also Michael's baptism the next year father William was also "farmer Lisnalanniv" not Ganyborough as another rootschatter pointed out... Ancestry translations are not good ... but I think the sponsor was Ellen O'Donnel and maybe ganysborough attached to her.

Thanks
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Also from the Kilbehenny RC registers, Patrick baptised on 3 June 1841: Patrick of Wm Hidderman and Mary ODonnell Sp David Lane & Mary Hidderman (right page, top entry):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632732#page/51/mode/1up

And possibly Denis #2 baptised on 17 or 27 February 1847: Denis of Wm Hederman & Mary O Donn [off edge of page] Sp Cath (or Patk) Keary & Joanna Hanlon Lisnalinniv (left page, 6 lines up from bottom):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632733#page/19/mode/1up

The other thing that strikes me is that Lisnalanniv in the parish of Kilbeheny is virtually on the Limerick - Cork county border (and indeed very close to the Tipperary county border as well) so your research shouldn't just restrict itself to County Limerick.  For example, Familysearch has several civil deaths for the name William Heddermen where the reported age places date of birth in the very early 1800s, registered at Mitchelstown County Cork, but only 5 miles from your County Limerick location.  In addition, RootsIreland has an 1828 church marriage record where the names fit and again it's Mitchelstown (couldn't find it in the NLI RC registers though, maybe on the wrong page).

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thanks gaffy  ;)

I have also have an Ellen 1831 from the register to add to the new children too.

So quite possibly 8 children (with presumably Denis 1845 dying by 1847) for Wm Hetherman/Hederman & Mary O'Donnell

Also thank you too for the insight with regards to the location of the Parish and the possible cross over in the counties involved.

WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi,
The marriage was in  MITCHELSTOWN  County CORK on the 17th Feb 1828
Eldest child Maurice was born/Baptised 7th Dec. 1828 address is given as  Lisnalanniv  KILBEHENNY
Is this correct?
8 children altogether.
let me know and I will get all the records.
Maggsie