Author Topic: Robert HICKS died 20 Feb 1916 - was he buried in Banwell St. Andrew with wife?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline RKR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am searching for the burial of Robert HICKS who died in Gloucestershire, whilst living with relatives, on 20 Feb 1916.

I cannot find him being buried in that area, and I suspect he may have been buried with his late wife in Banwell St. Andrew.

Her burial details are:
Frances HICKS age 58, born 1841, buried on 17 Jan 1899 in Banwell, Somerset.

Could some kind person who has access to the Burials Parish Register for Banwell St Andrew, &/or the Monumental Inscriptions for this graveyard, please see if Robert was buried with her?

His details would be: Robert HICKS born ~1837, died 20 Feb 1916, aged 79

Very many thanks! Ruth  :)
Gloucestershire: CHAMPION, DAY, FE(A)RN(E), GAZARD
Somerset: BOND, HICKS, HURLEY, TROTMAN
Cambridgeshire: KISBY
Sheffield: LOUKES

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert HICKS died 20 Feb 1916 - was he buried in Banwell St. Andrew with wife?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
He was buried in Banwell on 26th February 1916 at St. Andrews Church.  No indication as to whether he was buried with his wife.

You would need to get in touch with either the church or Somerset County Council to find that out.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline RKR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert HICKS died 20 Feb 1916 - was he buried in Banwell St. Andrew with wife?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 16 20:10 BST (UK) »
He was buried in Banwell on 26th February 1916 at St. Andrews Church.  No indication as to whether he was buried with his wife.

You would need to get in touch with either the church or Somerset County Council to find that out.

Thank you SO much for that really useful piece of information! That is exactly what I needed to know!

I will leave this topic open for another few days in case anyone has Monumental Inscription information that confirms whether or not Robert IS buried in the same grave as his wife, but you have certainly answered the most important part of my question!

Thank you very much indeed! :D

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 16 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello
I live in the area so can take a look in the graveyard for you if that would be of help. Should be able to do so in the next week or so.

kind wishes

Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline RKR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 16 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello
I live in the area so can take a look in the graveyard for you if that would be of help. Should be able to do so in the next week or so.

kind wishes

Sue

Thank you so much Sue! That would be really kind of you if it isn't too much bother? Please don't go out of your way to do so, as I can probably get down there myself within the next few months, but if you're passing and it occurs to you to pop in and have a look that would be really wonderful! I'm hoping that the grave is marked(!) and that any inscription should be reasonably legible as it is only 100 years ago, so please don't do more than a quick scout around - I wouldn't want to waste your valuable time if it is tricky to find! Thank you again! Best wishes, Ruth

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 16 21:40 BST (UK) »
No worries... I photograph graves for the Findagrave website so it will be good to visit this graveyard to see the potential. If I do not get there this weekend I will go the next.

Fingers crossed for you - always happy to help

kind wishes

sue
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Howell, Cardiff
Wellings- Shropshire

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 May 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
Sue

Hope Ruth doesn't mind me hijacking her thread, but would it be possible for you to keep an eye while you are looking for Ruth to see if there are any Watkins or Harding/Harden or Stephens graves at Banwell which are legible please?  I know there are some buried in there in the 1800s (and could possibly be later) but not sure how many might actually have had gravestones.

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 May 16 22:11 BST (UK) »
No problem. .. I am happy to look at the graves in my local area.

kind wishes

Sue
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Howell, Cardiff
Wellings- Shropshire

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue, much appreciated. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day