Author Topic: fetch  (Read 2051 times)

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
fetch
« on: Monday 11 April 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
hi I'm looking for a bit of help if possiable in the 1871 cen I have found my fetch family but they have a granddaughter with them called Isabella Gordon and she is 8 years old I was looking for her birth or death to see if I could find out who her parents was as she is not in any other cen with the family but can't find anything on her thanks for any help
raggyroo

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: fetch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
They also have an older Gordon granddaughter with them - Jean born 1857 in Banff. Familysearch have the birth of a Jean Gordon or Fetch on 28/12/1857 daughter of Francis Gordon and Isabella Fetch (this birth is on Scotlandspeople under Jean Gordon -Banff -1857 but cert. shows birth illegitimate father Francis Gordon mother Isabella Fetch. Father registered the birth). Can't see anything on either Familysearch or SP for Isabella but guess would be same parents.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 16 19:43 BST (UK) »
Apart from the entry that Isabel mentions, there are another two showing here with Fetch mothers:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYPK-QYZ
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY5D-JM6

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 16 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Suggest if you have not done so it would be worth looking at the original census image on SP. I have looked at two different transcriptions for this family - one has Isabella Gordon and the other has her as Isobel Gills.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
Scotlandspeople index for 1871 would seem to indicate that there was an eight year old Isabella Gills living in Banff but not an Isabella Gordon of that age so It looks like Ancestry may be incorrect. In 1891 Isabella Fetch ( born 1830) is living at home, as she has been in all the earlier census, but in this particular one she is described as Isabella Gills, Retired Agri Labrs Wife.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
The grandparents appear to be William Fetch and Jean/Jane Watt.
One of their elder daughters who appears with her parents on 1841 census only, married my relative in Ord, Banff in 1854.

I don't research families of spouses but, I had had no idea that Ann Fetch had so many siblings!

Her sister, Isabella Fetch does seem to be the mother of the child named Jean Gordon but there is no obvious, subsequent ( or prior) marriage to any one named Gills or variant?
Mother Jean/Jane Fetch MS Watt died in 1891 ( same address as 1891 census) but her death was registered by her son, William Fetch

There is a death in Ord for Isabella Gills , other name Fetch who died in 1907 aged aged 81yrs

Edit:
Isabella did marry Alexander Gill in 1862
SP error... Isobel FITCH
The marriage of 6 Dec 1862  ( age 32), confirms that she was the daughter of William Fetch and Jane Watt.

Her brother in law, who was my relative and married to her sister Ann was a witness to this marriage

I have now looked at the original 1871 census.
The 8yr old child named Isabella Gordon has been mistranscribed on the Ancestry version.
The original says: Isabella GILLS!

I cant find a birth for the child except one for the other child, Helen Wilson Gill b 20 Jun 1863 in Boyndie.
Parents: Alexander Gill and Isabella Fetch

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
1871 for Fetch family.
Both Isabella and Helen W Gill are on this return.

Also note that second family on sheet is William Fetch, son of William Fetch and Jane Watt

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 16:12 BST (UK) »
hi ann p it was nice to hear from you and Isabella is our direct line as her illigitmate son john duffus is linked to us. yes she had quite a few siblings and shes had quite a few children. their is still quite a few of the children that was in the cens with William fetch and jean or jane watt as grand children as I was trying to find out who they belong to did ann have any children thank you
raggyroo

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 22:39 BST (UK) »
Yes Raggyroo,
Ann Fetch and her husband had at least 15 children in total, over a 25yr period.
Most survived infancy, married and died in Scotland
 4 are known to have emigrated to Australia.
One went to NSW as a young man, whilst 3 others later emigrated to Perth, WA