Author Topic: Searching for William 'Bill' Hogg  (Read 7567 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for William 'Bill' Hogg
« Reply #63 on: Monday 25 April 16 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Nikki,

Glad you have solved it and best wishes with the birth certificate,

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Heywood :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
posted to wrong thread

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 13 May 16 09:35 BST (UK) »
My mum told me he was in the Inniskilling Fusiliers based in Devon, and he told his stepsons that he was involved in Kenya with the Mau-Mau, but I can't say when this was, but I see now that Inniskilling was involved in this.  Is there somewhere specific I might look for info on this?

Unfortunately, the Inniskillings Museum have temporarily suspended their trace a relative service http://www.inniskillingsmuseum.com/trace-a-relative/ , but you might be able to get some info by following instructions at https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records, albeit do note the cost and timescale.   
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 13 May 16 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, I did look into this but I think it states I can't find out about someone unless they have been dead for 25 years  :-\ and also I need to know their service number.
This is something I might look into when I have more to go on though as it's quite expensive.

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 10 September 17 13:14 BST (UK) »

Basically I want to trace my father's parents so I can obtain his birth certificate so I can apply for an Irish passport as my mum is convinced he is Irish, but he lived in Liverpool for a while before moving down to East Devon when I came on the scene.

I've hit a brick wall as although I have his date of birth, I can't even find any details of him being born, and neither can the friend who was trying to help with this.

I have the marriage certificate, and my brother's birth certificate which has some details on but I'm really stuck here.

I have done all the searches I can and end up going round and round in circles as I have so little information, and I understand that a lot of Irish records were destroyed.

I'm now the very proud holder of an Irish passport.  :)

Since this search, my mum has passed away, but I met with her younger brother from New Zealand last week and he brought me over some cherished b&w photo's of my mum and dad with myself and my brother from all those years ago (the only ones I have of us with him)

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me in my quest, without this forum I wouldn't have got as far as I have - THANK YOU