Author Topic: John Glover - Surgeon in the Royal Artillery  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Glover - Surgeon in the Royal Artillery
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 April 16 13:58 BST (UK) »
Timothy Glover , born Wittersham approx. 1780 , was a Sergeant with His Majesty's  Royal Waggon Train. ( His service record is on FindMyPast ).

A Timothy Glover married Elizabeth Farris 16 Oct 1803 Tenterden and possibly had the following children :

Elizabeth baptised 29 July 1804 Tenterden
Mary  2 Nov 1806 Croydon
Timothy baptised  16 Apr 1809 Tenterden
William 24 Feb 1811 Hythe, Kent
Matilda 16 Jun 1813 St Mary Guildford - this record with image attached confirms Timothy as Sergeant Royal Wagon Train
George 15 Sep 1816 Hythe, Kent

Bearing in mind that the details on the death certificate were dependant on the informant's knowledge perhaps they are wrong .  I notice on the Passenger List that George Glover was a farm labourer which seems a little unlikely for the son of a surgeon.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 16 02:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you CB53

Most useful :-) I had found a Timothy Glover (as you mention) in the Royal Waggon Train who was discharged in 1817 aged 37.

I've also found, however, a John Glover who was mentioned in the 'Journal of The House of Commons', where a payment was made to him on 31 January 1817, apparently covering service between 11 August 1815 to 16 April 1816, 'for keeping the accounts of the expenses incurred on account of General Bonaparte and his followers'.

Also found a Major J O Glover in the Royal Waggon Train, 1st Foot Royal Scots. Not sure what the 'J' stands for.

And yet another John Glover mentioned in the Chelsea Pensioner's Service Records (birth estimated as being 1776), born in Maidstone, Kent and discharged in 1819 at 42 years of age.

Lots to investigate of course, however, I am curious as to whether Timothy Glover was ever known as John, or whether he had a middle name of John. As mentioned, a number of people have Timothy Glover listed as being George's father, but none have verified or confirmed how and where they have information suggesting Timothy was also known as John.

Am off now to check more on one Timothy Glover. Thanks CB53 :-) Much appreciated.

Regards
Meg

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 April 16 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all

For anyone still reading this thread :-)

Am quite possible confusing myself here, but have found a John Glover in the Royal Marines Artillery. I need to check this further but as I am not in the UK, gaining access to the Archives records is going to be difficult.

The Royal Marines Artillery was formed in 1804 to replace the Royal Artillery units formerly assigned to ships of the Royal Navy.

Fascinating stuff :-)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 April 16 09:15 BST (UK) »
Just a thought but searching "John Glover" in the military area of FindMyPast in the early 1800s brings up 128 results, army and navy (which would include Royal Marines) - very few with personal information - good luck!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 06:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks maxD :-)

Yes, I'm fast discovering this is going to be virtually impossible to work out unfortunately. I'll keep trying though :-)

Regards
Meg

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Meg for taking my seemingly negative comment in the spirit in which it was made - I'm halfway through the 128 ;D

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 April 16 00:26 BST (UK) »
Love the humour maxD  ;D always appreciated :-)

Gotta have a sense of humour to try and stay sane whilst working through brick walls.

Sadly, I'm no closer to determining whether Timothy Glover was ever known as John  ::)

Cheers
Meg

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 May 16 09:54 BST (UK) »
Time to 'fess up.  I've been a bit uneasy about the statement I confidently made in an earlier post that "there were no surgeons in the Royal Artillery".  Recent research relating to the organisation of the armies at Waterloo (must get out more) shows that the statement was wrong.  Medical services in the time of John Glover were not on a centralised basis but organised regimentally, each regiment having its own surgeon and an assistant.  At Waterloo, there were 47 regimental surgeons and 94 assistants, each troop of Royal Horse Artillery for example had its own surgeon.(The Waterloo Armies - Haythornthwaite).  Thus it is highly likely that, as John Glover went about his everyday business in his blood stained apron carrying his (t)rusty saw, he was indeed a surgeon in the Royal Artillery as the death certificate says.
Still doesn't help us find him but makes me feel better.  Only 34 to go.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 May 16 01:39 BST (UK) »
Appreciate the update MaxD :-)

He remains an elusive character................ ::)

Cheers
Meg