Author Topic: Thomas Lightfoot from Clapham (b 1811)  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Lightfoot from Clapham (b 1811)
« on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
I'm looking for a marriage (and children) for Thomas Lightfoot, born 1811 the son of James Lightfoot and Jane/Jenny Crutchley, in Clapham, Bedfordshire.
His siblings were Mary (1791), Elizabeth (1803), Alice (1805) and Joseph Crutchley (1807). Mary was baptised in Oakley, the rest of the children in Clapham.

I am inclined to think that the Jane/Jenny Lightfoot in the 1841 census, aged 70-something and  recorded as living with a young girl also called Jane/Jenny Lightfoot aged 10, is the mother of this Thomas, and that the girl was Thomas's child and Jane/Jenny's granddaughter. Thomas himself I can't find in the census, which could account for the fact that his (possible) daughter is living with her nan.

I know for sure that the child isn't Joseph's, because that line of the family has already been thoroughly researched, Joseph was my direct ancestor and of him I already know everything. Now trying to find out what happened to his siblings.

Any help is welcome!!!
Thanks!
Lexi.

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lightfoot from Clapham (b 1811)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
I'm looking for a marriage (and children) for Thomas Lightfoot, born 1811 the son of James Lightfoot and Jane/Jenny Crutchley, in Clapham, Bedfordshire.
His siblings were Mary (1791), Elizabeth (1803), Alice (1805) and Joseph Crutchley (1807). Mary was baptised in Oakley, the rest of the children in Clapham.

I am inclined to think that the Jane/Jenny Lightfoot in the 1841 census, aged 70-something and recorded as living with a young girl also called Jane/Jenny Lightfoot aged 10, is the mother of this Thomas, and that the girl was Thomas's child and Jane/Jenny's granddaughter. Thomas himself I can't find in the census, which could account for the fact that his (possible) daughter is living with her nan.

I know for sure that the child isn't Joseph's, because that line of the family has already been thoroughly researched, Joseph was my direct ancestor and of him I already know everything. Now trying to find out what happened to his siblings.

Any help is welcome!!!
Thanks!
Lexi.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
The Beds FHS Surnames Index has baptism of Thomas Lightfoot in 1811 at Clapham and also a burial of Thomas Lightfoot in 1812 at Clapham. The NBI has this being on 12 Jun 1812 but there isn't an age for him. 

Have you researched this burial & discounted it?

Cheers John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
The Beds FHS Surnames Index has baptism of Thomas Lightfoot in 1811 at Clapham and also a burial of Thomas Lightfoot in 1812 at Clapham. The NBI has this being on 12 Jun 1812 but there isn't an age for him. 

Have you researched this burial & discounted it?

Cheers John

No I haven't researched this burial, I'm not able to, I believe? Or do you have tips on where and how to search, other than ancestry or familysearch?

I did check ancestry for records for Clapham but I can't seem to find any closure for anybody:
- Not sure whether the 1811 and 1812 Thomases are the same, or that the 1812 burial is another Thomas.
- Not sure either whether the Thomas that was father to Jane in 1831 was actually from Clapham himself or that he was from somewhere totally different.

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
Regarding the two Jane Lightfoots in the 1841 census, I think I have found out the following: Jane the Younger may have been the Jane Lightfoot born in 1831 to Thomas and Alice Lightfoot, in Clapham. Still not sure whether this is the same Thomas, but there is always that possibility. It would make everything quite plausible.

Hmpfz, if only Bedfordshire were closer, I'd hop over to check out those records myself!  ;)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
On ancestry that baptism is indexed as father THomas Lightfoot or Aris

I note the baptism in 1829 of Ann Augusta Green Lightfoot to Alice Lightfoot

Now on 1851 there's a Jane Harris b c1831 Clapham, living in Felmersham with her uncle Henry Groves, b c1799 in Felmersham

1861 Henry is living with a  William and Jane Bell - the latter b c 1831 in Clapham. their eldest son is called Harris. here Henry is called brother in law

Henry Bruce Grove
Baptism    11 Jan 1795, Felmersham, Bedford
Father    Jos. Grove
Mother    Mary

Henry Bruce Groves
Mary Lightfoot
Marriage    12 Oct 1818, St. Paul'S, Bedford

[Edited] I think this is telling us that Henry may be Jane's great uncle (or similar) - married to James and Janes' daughter Mary - and that young Jane is the possibly illegitimate daughter of Alice Lightfoot and Thomas Harris

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 07:50 BST (UK) »
On ancestry that baptism is indexed as father THomas Lightfoot or Aris

I note the baptism in 1829 of Ann Augusta Green Lightfoot to Alice Lightfoot

Now on 1851 there's a Jane Harris b c1831 Clapham, living in Felmersham with her uncle Henry Groves, b c1799 in Felmersham

1861 Henry is living with a  William and Jane Bell - the latter b c 1831 in Clapham. their eldest son is called Harris. here Henry is called brother in law

Henry Bruce Grove
Baptism    11 Jan 1795, Felmersham, Bedford
Father    Jos. Grove
Mother    Mary

Henry Bruce Groves
Mary Lightfoot
Marriage    12 Oct 1818, St. Paul'S, Bedford

[Edited] I think this is telling us that Henry may be Jane's great uncle (or similar) - married to James and Janes' daughter Mary - and that young Jane is the possibly illegitimate daughter of Alice Lightfoot and Thomas Harris

Mabel, I think you have just made my day! This makes perfect sense! When I saw the name Groves I knew I had seen it before, and I did, with the marriage of Mary  :) I was just not sure it was MY Mary Lightfoot, but I think now that it is. Too much circumstantial evidence to point anywhere other than to my family!

This makes me happy!

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 13:04 BST (UK) »

I've looked into things and this is how it is:

Jane Harris lives with her uncle (husband of her mother's sister) in 1851. In 1854 she marries William Bell and they have a handful of children. In 1861 Henry Groves in turn lives with his niece Jane Lightfoot/Harris now Bell. He just isn't her and her husband's brother-in-law but an uncle, so I don't know what happened there...

Thanks anyway for putting me on the right track, Mabel!!!

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 13:43 BST (UK) »
From Clapham PR transcript

Whilst the baptism on 26 May 1811 is Thomas, son of James & Jenny Lightfoot - the burial on 12 Jun 1812 just says Thomas Lightfoot..... it does not say infant or give an age or say son of J & J Lightfoot. This is not conclusive.... you need to see if you can locate Thomas Lightfoot born 1811, in later years, such as his marriage or his death. If you suspect him to be the father of this 10 year old Jane/Jenny, you need to find her baptism or her marriage to see if it names her father.

In addition to his siblings you have provided there is also a baptism at Clapham on 5 April 1801 of John, son of James Lightfoot in the Bedford Militia & Jenny his wife. OK... the name Lightfoot seems to be hand written in afterwards.... but from the 1803 Muster Lists for Clapham, is James Lightfoot, labourer, class 4, volunteer. Class 4 includes married men between 17-30 with more than 2 children under 10.

Cheers John   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------