Author Topic: Thomas Lightfoot from Clapham (b 1811)  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lightfoot from Clapham (b 1811)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
From Clapham PR transcript

Whilst the baptism on 26 May 1811 is Thomas, son of James & Jenny Lightfoot - the burial on 12 Jun 1812 just says Thomas Lightfoot..... it does not say infant or give an age or say son of J & J Lightfoot. This is not conclusive.... you need to see if you can locate Thomas Lightfoot born 1811, in later years, such as his marriage or his death. If you suspect him to be the father of this 10 year old Jane/Jenny, you need to find her baptism or her marriage to see if it names her father.

In addition to his sibling you have provided there is also a baptism at Clapham on 5 April 1801 of John, son of James Lightfoot in the Bedford Militia & Jenny his wife. OK... the name Lightfoot seems to be hand written in afterwards.... but from the 1803 Muster Lists for Clapham, is James Lightfoot, labourer, class 4, volunteer. Class 4 includes married men between 17-30 with more than 2 children under 10.

Cheers John

Ah, so James was in the Militia? This could account for the fact that I can't find children for him between 1791 and 1803 - the 1801 John is new to me. I would then have three children by 1803: Mary 1791, John 1801 and Elizabeth 1803. Would you happen to know if there are any other children? And would I be able to find out what John did in the Militia? This was the time of Napoleon, right? Would he have fought him? That would be cool  ;)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 13:56 BST (UK) »
Oh and it turns out not Thomas is the father of little Jane, but Alice, his older sister (b 1805)!

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Looks like John Lightfoot was buried Clapham on 28 Dec 1824 aged 23 (= 1801)

His father James Lightfoot also buried Clapham on 10 Feb 1841 aged 71 (= 1770)   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 18:11 BST (UK) »
They're kinda into Clapham, aren't they? :-)