Author Topic: Blenkirons of Marrick  (Read 5011 times)

Offline xanthippe

• RootsChat Extra
  • expat Brit, born in Scotland, now living in Berlin
    • View Profile
Blenkirons of Marrick
« on: Tuesday 12 April 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hallo,
I have been researching the Blenkirons of Marrick for some ten years now and I think I have them sorted out from those in Grinton and Reeth. But there are a few questions that I need to find answers for and it is not easy trying to find answers while living abroad (I'm in Berlin). So if anyone can help with the following queries then I would be grateful:
1. Did Bartholomew Blenkiron bapt 24 Apr 1694 marry Elizabeth Dent and if so, when? I have two possible dates: 1724 or 1751. Also his burial date is uncertain and might be 21 Mar 1756. Or was this another Bartholomew?
2. What is the maiden name of Elizabeth, Bartholomews mother and Bartram Blenkiron's wife, whom he married in abt 1686? She could have died in 1740.
3. Thomas Blenkharne (b abt 1630) was from nearby Patrington and married Elizabeth Estrape, according to the parish registers. Estrape is very unusual name and I can't find it anywhere else in the area. Might it be a bad transcription from Eastrop?
And generally, I would love to be in contact with anyone who is researching this family.
Thanks,

Xanthe
Bwye, Blenkiron, Clarke, Close, Durrant, Fraser, Hall, Humm, Ivin, Joy, Livermore, Phelps, Ruegg, Schmock, Sever, Sinclair, Thorneycraft, Widows, Woolley

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blenkirons of Marrick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 21:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Xanthe.

Have you tried to contact anyone who is researching this family by looking in 'Surname Interests' under 'Your Tools' below?

Offline xanthippe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the hint. But I need to make 2 postings before I am allowed to contact anyone directly.
Xanthe
Bwye, Blenkiron, Clarke, Close, Durrant, Fraser, Hall, Humm, Ivin, Joy, Livermore, Phelps, Ruegg, Schmock, Sever, Sinclair, Thorneycraft, Widows, Woolley

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

Just reply to this and you have got your three posts  ;D

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xanthippe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 16 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,

1. I have Bartholomew Blenkiron baptised 24th April 1694 marrying a Barbara (no date or place for the wedding) and a burial for him on the 12st March 1756. This is the Bartholomew Blenkiron sometimes referred to as Bartholomew jnr in the records to distinguish him from his father and who suffered damage to his house in the Great Marrick fire of 1737. I don't have him marrying an Elizabeth Dent although much later a William Blenkiron did in 1776.Could be true though as Marrick  was full of Dents. Barbara died after him and was buried 8th Feb 1763.

2. I don't know the maiden name for the Elizabeth who married Bartram. Sorry! I haven't checked the parish church for nearby Downholme yet though.

3. Can't help with number 3 either, you seem to have hit the same stumbling blocks I did. However, I think you will be right to in the surname being Eastrop. Sorry I am being a bit rubbish, I was quite proud of my Blenkiron research too!

I have some notes on the family and I have typed out all the Blenkiron parish records for Marrick, Grinton, Marske, Reeth etc arranged in chronological order and colour coded by parish into an excel spreadsheet, if you would like me to send you these to compare notes feel free to send me an email address by a private message. I spent days at the North Riding Archives transcribing all these and then findmypast put all the parish records up anyway fairly recently! I have some wills and the like from the later generations, depending on where you fit in. My line goes through Hannah Blenkiron daughter of Bartholomew Blenkiron 1734-1808. When I went to Marrick church there was a headstone for a Bartholomew Blenkiron but with no date on it which Bartholomew it is is anyone's guess! There are still Blenkirons living in the area.

Anyway, if I can help at all (despite my woeful lack of help here) please let me know,

Dan

Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 February 17 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Xanthippe and Verezzi
I am very interested in your thread as I have a brick wall in my family tree, which is Dorothy Blenkiron who married Joseph Alderson at Downholme Church on 18 February 1753.  Joseph's dates are 1727 - 1781 and Dorathe Alderson of Reeth was buried 25 January 1792 at Grinton.

I have been unable to find a baptism for Dorothy, but Joseph's and Dorothy's second born son was named Bartholomew and I am inclined to think that she was a member of the Marrick family.    This belief has been strenthened by Verezzi confirming that Bartholomew married a Barbara, as their first named daughter was a Barbara.  [The children were named John, Barbara, Elizabeth, Bartholomew, Ann, Joseph, Thomas and all baptised at Grinton.]

Bartholomew Blenkiron  (1694 - 1756) had 3 children named Elizabeth in the Marrick parish registers 1) 1727-1727); 2) 1728 - ; 3) 1737 -  .  I have been unable to trace a burial for Elizabeth 2) and have formed a theory that either Elizabeth 2) or Elizabeth 3) is in fact my Dorothy. [I favour Elizabeth 2) as her last child was born in 1815 when she would have been 42 years of age, rather than aged 33 if she were Elizabeth 3).]

As dedicated Blenkiron researchers, can you shed light on (or should I say through?) by brick wall?
Any thoughts very gratefully received.
Judith

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 February 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have the Dorothy Blenkiron you mention in terms of the marriage exactly as you say with the groom from Downholme parish but you're right there is no obvious baptism for her. Despite this the name Dorothy had been used in the family- Barthram had a daughter who died aged 2 in 1690 for instance and I think the names of your Dorothy's children are pretty conclusive. Barbara is not a common name in the area and I would tentatively suggest that taking into account those names and the dates Dorothy is the daughter of Bartholomew and Barbara Blenkiron. I copied out all the Blenkiron records long ago from Marrick, Grinton, Reeth and a few other places but some of my Marrick families do stray about and some of the nearby parishes are not on IGI or freereg so Dorothy may well turn up somewhere else e.g. Downholme itself whose records are not online for the dates we would need. I have poor luck with Downholme, I went there once and trapped my finger in the church door! Your theory may well be true about the name change- if not there may be a stray baptism, I have had a few of these among the Marrick families. I really think she might be at Downholme, the online records start for there in the early 1800s but it was there and in use before then.

I have the same Elizabeth information you have and did not find a burial for Elizabeth 2- again this could suggest the name change as you say or that she was buried in the stray parish where Dorothy was born. There are a few gaps between children suggesting a change of location e.g. the three years between the first and second child.

Hmmm, I am not being much help as it looks like I have the same information as yourself. But, I would add Dorothy to Batholomew and Barbara - she had to come from somewhere in the area and like I say the names are pretty conclusive. I am going to temporarily add her to my ancestry tree for now to come back to later. If you have an Ancestry account my tree is schilver, there are a lot of Blenkiron trees but most are riddled with errors and so I took mine from the original parish registers so it should be right and if not it's all my fault!

I have some information on the Blenkirons if you would like it including a spreadsheet of all the baptisms/burials etc arranged in chronological order and colour coded by parish, if you would like a copy feel free to pm me an email address and I will send it on.

Dan
Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Dan,

Thank you for your interest and your prompt reply.  Thank you also for supporting my theory that Dorothy is a member of the Bartholomew Blenkiron family! :)

Find My Past have the Downholme records from 1736 (burials) and 1737 (baptisms) - just too late for what we need.  However, the marriage of Joseph Alderson and Dorothy Blenkiron in 1753 is not in that register, it is only in the Marrick parish register with a note to say it was "att Downholme Church", so I think the bride is Marrick based rather than Downholme.  There is nothing in the entry to suggest that either party is from Downhome.  I have Joseph firmly settled in Reeth all his life.

I will be very interested to study your Ancestry tree.  I have a tree there, but a private one.
Thanks again
Judith