Author Topic: Thomas Francis De La Haye  (Read 1779 times)

Offline sansbrae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Francis De La Haye
« on: Wednesday 13 April 16 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Am trying to locate birth records for Thomas Francis De La Haye born in Jersey about 1869.  Have scant details of his family other than his father is listed on a marriage certificate as John De La Haye and his mother's maiden name appears to be Pettit.  Have checked all of the online records but have been unable to locate him.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bruce

Offline Magiccat1978

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Francis De La Haye
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 16 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce

Could you please tell us what information you have on Thomas so we can use this to try and find him for you.

thank you
Magiccat  :)

Greenock-Williamson,Guthrie,McIlhagga,Morris,McPherson
Lanarkshire-Reid,Bennett/Bennard,Stewart, Miller,Brown,Jamieson,McGregor,Davidson, Paterson,Anderson,Allister,Renwick,Shearer.
Stirling-Guthrie,Coutts.
Montrose-Guthrie,Brown,
Arbroath-Smith,Adam,Garland,Esplin,Davdison, Fender,Moncur
AyrshireRankin,McDickens,Bennard/Bennett,Carrick,Russell.
Ireland-Williamson,Galbraith,McIlhagga,Adrain. Bennard.
Fife-Brown,Williamson
Whitburn-Brown,Smart,Martin
Staffordshire-Abbiss,Oakley,Morris,Southall

Online la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 11:27 BST (UK) »
Where did he marry and what was his wife's name? I'm not finding him on any CI records.

Offline sansbrae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
homas Francis Hines arrived in NZ in late 1800’s and married & settled in the Port Molyneux area.  There were other families from Jersey living in the Port Molyneux area. It was always known that he was from the Channel Islands and there was a family story that he had jumped ship, exchanging names with someone else and that his real surname was De La Haye.

On his marriage certificate he lists his Mothers maiden name as what looks like Pettit and his Fathers name as John Hines with a profession of Seafaring.

To support the De La Haye name we have a copy of a letter sent to him by his mother a Eliza or Elize De La Haye living with a Mrs (Emma) Vibert at 41 Broad St Jersey in 1912 in which she refers to him as Dear Frank and states that she has only received two letters from him in 18 years and is signed “I remain your affectionate Mother Eliza or Elize De La Haye.  We also have a copy of a letter from his sister Eliza Weston who was living in London in 1913 asking him to write to his mother at 41 Broad St  Indications are that he did write back and tell his Mother he was married and details about his new life.  It is possible he had brothers but they both may have died prior to 1909.

Online la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 12:59 BST (UK) »
Good news and bad news.
I have found Eliza de la Haye living at 41 Broad Street with the Vibert family. She is only transcribed with the initial letter E but her full name was Eliza de la Valle de la Haye née Pipon.

On the 1861 she has 4 children, John Philippe Pipon de la Haye (1852), Eliza Emilia (1857), Francis Charles (1859) and Philippe (1860). Luckily John was born in St Helier so I was able to find his baptism record which names his father as John de la Haye who was a sailor.

In 1871 Eliza is living in St Helier but the only children living with her are Eliza and John

By 1881 she is widowed and living in St Helier again with her daughter, now entered as Eliza A Pipon Weston. So this is definitely the right de la Haye family (it's quite a common name here).

Unfortunately I can find no trace of a Thomas Francis de la Haye or Hines. I'll have another think about it over the next few days.